Cycling 75 Gal tank

Goldfishnoob

Hello,
I have been cycling my 75 gallon tank since last Monday my Ammonia is between 0-.25ppm, Nitrites .25ppm, Nitrates 5ppm. I’ve been dosing with stability everyday and also with plant fertilizer. Now my tank is green (it’s a fishless cycle although 2 trumpet snails hitched a ride on my plants, found them this morning) I just wanted some guidance should I do a water change. Am I close to being cycled. Thanks.

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore

You are still very early in the cycle. To cycle a tank you need an ammonia source. Since this has no fish to produce it you will have to add it. That ammonia source can come from several sources. Fish food, a piece of shrimp or liquid ammonia. Lots of folks use Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride.

The numbers you are seeing are coming from the bottled bacteria and the ferts you are adding.

Goldfishnoob

Thank you. I have been adding fish food too. I just didn’t want to use ammonia because it seems weird and unnatural. As for my green water should I just let it sit and be green? I stopped adding fertilizer yesterday because obviously I don’t need anymore. I don’t mind to leave it if that will benefit the bacteria as there aren’t fish in the tank.

mattgirl

Goldfishnoob said:
Thank you. I have been adding fish food too. I just didn’t want to use ammonia because it seems weird and unnatural. As for my green water should I just let it sit and be green? I stopped adding fertilizer yesterday because obviously I don’t need anymore. I don’t mind to leave it if that will benefit the bacteria as there aren’t fish in the tank.
Hopefully now that you have stopped adding the ferts the algae bloom will recede. You may want to take a few minutes to read my thoughts on doing a fishless cycle. I actually recommend using both fish food and liquid ammonia. By doing so you can control the amount of ammonia and also give the bacteria all it needs.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-more-and-more-often-fishless-cycling.477380/

Goldfishnoob

Goldfishnoob

Update: got it cycled and fish have been in for a couple days! They’re doing great

Dechi

Did you start on feb. 22 (last Monday) ? If so that’s only 15 days for a cycle. If it was the Monday before, that’s 22 days.

A 15 days cycle is very unlikely. A 22 days is more likely but rare, especially for a beginner. Keep testing frequently to make sure ammonia and nitrites aren’t spiking.

Goldfishnoob

It’s been 17 days water parameters have been good. I stole some filter media from a friends tank pretty early on and the plants have been in the whole time. The tank itself was also used. I will keep checking. I do a 50% water change every week because goldfish.

Dechi

Goldfishnoob said:
I stole some filter media from a friends tank pretty early on and the plants have been in the whole time.
Ahhhhh, good job !

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom