Cycling 60 gallon tank

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dillan Murphy said:
I started cycling a 60 gallon tank on the 3rd of course I'm not showing any nitrates or nitrites, but I was wondering how many times you're supposed to add ammonia. This is my first fishless cycle.
When you types "fishless cycle" it created a link to a Discussion describing the process. It should help. However, while I've never done a fishless cycle I've seen some people here recommend raising the ammonia to 2 ppm instead of the 3 or 4 recommended there. It probably depends on the bioload you're planning for.

Argos

Reaction score
Dose to 2ppm. Let it sit for several weeks.

You can check the ammonia levels at any time you like.

You can re-dose up to 2ppm anytime the ammonia levels return to zero or just re-dose sporadically every week or so; it really makes zero difference.

Don't test your nitrates, in fact don't even worry about them. Only way to rid your tank of nitrates is by live plants or water changes.

Once your ammonia and nitrite levels go from 2ppm (ammonia) to 0ppm in 24 hours you can consider yourself fully cycled.

Be patient, this can take several months.

*anticipating water change question: water changes won't hurt the cycle one bit. Make sure you are aware that you are diluting the ammonia in the water so might want to re-dose ammonia after a water change.

New Threads