Cycling 5g Qt Tank Making Progress

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by JRS, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I thought it was time to make my own thread instead of posting/responding on your threads @stella1979 and @AngelTheGypsy of the progress of my 5G QT cycling

I used stability for a while and it was probably working slowly, I became impatient and decided to use a small bottle of SST+ just to be sure. That was 6 days ago.

So this morning I tested and I finally got 0 ammonia!!! Yeah! So now it is time to redose. I have a ways to go as it took 6 days to go from 2ppm to 0ppm. I meant to dose to 1ppm but oops. So I went with it. (I am so glad I started a journal on this tank and the 20G or I wouldn't remember anything.)

Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 40

I am going to dose to 1ppm ammonia again and see where this takes me.

2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Can't wait to see how it progresses JRS :) Just to sum my experience up... It's been 10 days since TSS+. Had to dose ammonia this morning, (to 2ppm). This is the fourth time I've added ammonia since TSS+, but the conversion time is shortening with each dosage:)

3. OP
    OP
    JRS

That is encouraging.

4. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Yes, try not to get discouraged :) I first dosed ammonia (after TSS+) to 1ppm, and it took 4 days to convert. 6 days for 2ppm seems about right :)

5. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

It will speed up with each dose of ammonia that is processed through as the bacteria multiply about once a day.

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

24 hours after dosing 1.0 ppm ammonia and at .5 ppm Ammonia! Yeah!

7. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Go bacteria go! Lol

8. OP
    OP
    JRS

I keep walking by the tank and saying this in my head now! :)

So this morning a little less than 72 hours, I am at 0 ppm ammonia. Getting faster. Will redose again soon.

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Since it is a 5 and a quarantine, why didn't you put the filter on the main tank for a week or two, and forget about all the worry?
    If you have a 5 gallon QT, then the main tank is small and a QT will only be used sometimes. A filter you take on and off will do the job - cycle the filter and the qt is ready even if it's sitting empty.

10. OP
    OP
    JRS

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of putting this filter in my larger tank. o_O I was thinking that is what I would do if I had a sponge filter, somehow I never connected the dots. Almost there now and I am having trouble with illness in the other tank, I think I will leave it alone for now. I hope to soon also upgrade that tank to a 29 and then I will remember to do that. Thanks!!!!

11. AngelTheGypsy

It is good for the experience though! I don't have room to put an extra filter on any of my tanks either. I also kinda like the process. I'm weird, I know

12. OP
    OP
    JRS

I know I feel like I am back in science class! I would of probably been afraid to rock the boat anyway given everything going on with the 20. I did order a small sponge filter for up to a 10 gallon, I will put in the 29 when I put that together so I can use for a QT in the future.

13. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

A lot of people enjoy the process, and that is great. Me, well, no. But I can see the fascination.
    Wait til you try breeding an egg-laying fish, and you get to follow all the fascinating stages of development and growth. This hobby is full of fun things for nerds (I don't know about you guys, but I am proud to be one).

14. AngelTheGypsy

Yeah, I'm a nerd . Someday I may try breeding (I have a feeling mystery snails are going to be my first breeders, since they're already going after it) but I'm not sure I want to try to yet.

15. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

Being an IT guy by trade, I appreciate the technicalities of cycling.

16. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I was in IT Networking for years myself and definitely enjoy the technicalities of cycling and everything else :)

17. OP
    OP
    JRS

0 ppm after 48 hours! Getting there. Redosed again. We will see tomorow.

18. AngelTheGypsy

It's so rewarding to see progress!

19. OP
    OP
    JRS

Even closer - ammonia 0 after 36 hours.

I am wondering what I should dose to. I want to get 4 or 5 harlequin rasboras. Will 1 ppm be enough or should I go to 1.5?

From CindiL's post
    Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter
    "Most people seem happy to start with a small school of fish (6-8) which the 1.5 ammonia processing would be sufficient."

20. AngelTheGypsy

I like to play it safe and that means I'd probably go 2 ppm . It only took me a few days to go from 1 to 2.

Where are your nitrites at?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice