Cycling 55 gallon, impatient!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by JustKeepSwimming, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

...Not that I can do anything about it. I know it's gonna take like a full month to get it all cycled but I am so impatient! I find myself testing the water three times a week, lol.

I looked into that smart start stuff but it was pretty expensive so I didn't buy it. I'm guessing the old fashioned empty cycle, wait-wait-wait way is the best way to go?

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

It sure is :) No fish are harmed that way. It took me forever to cycle my 55 gallon because I had ammonia in my tap water. Tetra SafeStart is pretty expensive stuff :p

Don't worry, it gives you more time to plan your stocking ;)

3. Skysong87Valued MemberMember

Lol, I'm currently cycling my tank as well and I'm on day 12. Ever since I've seen a decrease in ammonia and an increase in nitrites I feel like testing 3 times a day!

Good luck with your cycle! :)

4. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I've got a Ryukin and a Fantail in a tank much too small for them that will definitely be going in there the moment the water is cycled! It is a struggle to keep them in the tank they're in and keep the ammonia down, so that's part of the impatience. But I think I'll be adding loaches! Which is also exciting!

Yeah I know how you feel! I'm watching my ammonia slowly go down. My tap water has an ammonia of just over 1.0 (maybe about 1.5ish), then I had an ammonia spike, and now the ammonia is going down slowly to just under 1.0. I just love seeing the changes!

5. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I'm actually not against fish in cycles, depending on the fish... I cycled mine with rosy feeder minnows and all of them lived, I also seeded my tank with a little gravel and old algae infested water from my sisters neglected tank, and it did wonders and fully cycled faster than a fishless cycles. I do consider some fish "throw away" fish, like rosy feeders... I'd never cycle a tank with the stock I wanted to keep, and of course didn't add them until later, upon which, my sister's large Comet VERY much enjoyed the rosy feeders. The best way to go is what works best for you and your conscience... I for one, did not lose any sleep with the possibility of killing the rosy feeders and very much had success with my method.

Edit: Just got a minus rep point because "no living creature should be considered dispensable." Ok then... Well I disagree... feeder minnows aren't cats, and they aren't centerpiece fish. They are highly overbred and given frequently to many animals as food. They indeed are dispensable. That is my opinion, and not incorrect information.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

I like Kinezumi's point that it gives you more time to plan out stocking.

Since you chose to comment here, rather than privately contact Mike or one of the mods, I will respond publicly. The rules about reputation don't say anything about negative rep only being given for incorrect information. I am not the one who wrote the reputation, so I can't be certain of the motivation. However, I can guess at it, given the comment. You were promoting something that many people on the forum consider to be cruelty to animals. It is your opinion that this doesn't matter due to the fact that fish in a different Class of life than our furred pets. Someone obviously disagrees with you strongly enough to leave negative rep.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; Do you have access to an already established tank? If so some substrate or filter media from that tank can seed the new tank. The bb apparently sticks well to things in a tank so most anything should have some on thesurface.
    Two things I put into a new setup are live plants and snails. Both should have some beneficial bacteria (bb) on their surfaces which should help seed the new tank. Floating plants for tanks that you do not plan to have rooted plants in. Snails also respire and will be a source of ammonia to feed the bb. I have put snails (ramshorn and MTS) and plants into new setups the first day. The plants and snails have always done fine.
    I have been able to put one or two small fish (usually zebra danioes) in a new tank after the snails and plants were in for a few days. I can then add fish slowly over a few weeks.

Here is a link to an article about nitrogen and cycling. It is an involved read and discusses the methods of cycling.

Good luck

8. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I already know about the nitrogen cycle, and I do have established tanks. I thought about adding substrate but I don't know how much I'd have to add to a 55 gallon. I have small rocks in one tank and large stones in another. How much substrate would I have to add?

9. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

are the goldfish the only fish in that tank? if so you could just put the filter media from that tank into your 55 and move the goldfish right over. bb reproduce quickly. do you have any holey rocks? those would hold bacteria too.

10. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I have no holey rocks. Where would I put the filter media? The tank they're in is a lot smaller, would that make a difference? Do I just put it behind the carbon filters? They're two different kinds of filters is what I mean. The 55 gallon has a 70+g rated Marineland biowheel. The filter in the tank they're in is a 20g rated Aquatech (not a biowheel.)

Would it really be safe to put the fish right in with the filter media when the ammonia is just under 1.0 right now?

11. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

And yeah the goldfish are the only ones in that tank right now.

12. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

There is no too soon for adding the fish. Your filter was ready for the fish the second you moved it to the new tank. said by jaysee yesterday in another discussion.

i would set both of the filters up and running on the 55 so the bacteria can populate on the 55's biowheel. you should be fine putting the fish right in.

13. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Well there's a small problem with that, my 55g only has room for one filter, and the Marineland is taking up the entirety of that small sliver of space. Maybe I could temporarily put the other up in the front with the right side's lid open, if it would fit. How long would it need to stay in there until I could move it back to the small tank?

14. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

does the old filter use a pad or media? if its just a pad I'd just put it into the water and turn the marineland on. the bacteria will be fine and start to seed the new 55. I'd leave the filter in the water for a few days with the goldfish in the 55 to make sure it seeded the new media ok. the old filter will be fine sitting in the tank. then you can move the old filter out after everything tests ok. :)

15. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

16. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

i would think so. I moved my tank like that. I took my filter and ten gallons of water with me when I moved. filled the tank back up with water set my filter back up and put the old water and decorations in. tank cycle complete :D
    I've read alot of threads on this too. its a pretty common one

17. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Interesting. Thanks for the tips! :) I may try it out. My only concern now is that the new tank doesn't have a heater (and won't until one week from today). Granted, they're coldwater fish but we're having a cold front come through at the end of the week and I'm concerned about temperature fluctuations in the water.

18. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

you're welcome :) a heater would definatly come in handy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice