Cycling 3.5 gallon tank

Dillan Murphy

I am trying to cycle a 3.5 gallon and I tested my water today and I have no ammonia showing up after having 3 ppm and I'm not having any Nitrites showing up where is the ammonia going?

mattgirl

Did you move some seeded media over to this tank from a cycled one? Are you seeing any nitrates? If you are adding ammonia you are adding more than needed for a tank this size. I wouldn't add more than 1ppm. that 1ppm will grow enough bacteria for a tank this small.

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

Did you move some seeded media over to this tank from a cycled one? Are you seeing any nitrates? If you are adding ammonia you are adding more than needed for a tank this size. I wouldn't add more than 1ppm. that 1ppm will grow enough bacteria for a tank this small.
I didn't even think to check the nitrates I have about 80 ppm. I've never cycled a tank this small I didn't think it would cycle so fast. I just started the cycle the 27th of May

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I didn't even think to check the nitrates I have about 80 ppm. I've never cycled a tank this small I didn't think it would cycle so fast. I just started the cycle the 27th of May
They will if you add seeded media from a cycled tank. Did you?

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

They will if you add seeded media from a cycled tank. Did you?
No I only used ammonia

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I don't know what to tell you then. 3ppm of ammonia wouldn't have produced that much nitrate and to be honest I don't think it is possible to cycle a tank this quickly without adding some type of seeded media or some other form of bacteria. Something seems to be off with the numbers.

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

I don't know what to tell you then. 3ppm of ammonia wouldn't have produced that much nitrate and to be honest I don't think it is possible to cycle a tank this quickly without adding some type of seeded media or some other form of bacteria. Something is off with the numbers.
I added 1 ppm ammonia before testing for nitrates if it's gone in 24 hours it would have to be cycled

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If this tank went from dry to fully cycled in just over a week without adding seeded media I have to wonder what kind of magic is going on in it. Yes, if you add the ammonia, it processes through to nitrates and you see no nitrites along the way I have to think you have both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria in the tank. If the tank is heavily planted with fast growing healthy plants they could be eating the ammonia but apparently that isn't happening because you have nitrates, lots of nitrates.

It does leave me wondering how it happened so quickly. You didn't add seeded media but did you add anything from a cycled tank? Any kind of decor, live plants, anything? Did you fill this tank with water from one of your other tanks? Maybe the nitrates were already this high in the tank the water came from. Could that be why the nitrates are already so high in this tank?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

What are the numbers of your tap water? Maybe that is where the nitrates are coming from?

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

What are the numbers of your tap water? Maybe that is where the nitrates are coming from?
There is no nitrates in my tap water
If this tank went from dry to fully cycled in just over a week without adding seeded media I have to wonder what kind of magic is going on in it. Yes, if you add the ammonia, it processes through to nitrates and you see no nitrites along the way I have to think you have both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria in the tank. If the tank is heavily planted with fast growing healthy plants they could be eating the ammonia but apparently that isn't happening because you have nitrates, lots of nitrates.

It does leave me wondering how it happened so quickly. You didn't add seeded media but did you add anything from a cycled tank? Any kind of decor, live plants, anything? Did you fill this tank with water from one of your other tanks? Maybe the nitrates were already this high in the tank the water came from. Could that be why the nitrates are already so high in this tank?
I didn't use anything from any other tank in this tank

Upvote 0

mattgirl

There is no nitrates in my tap water

I didn't use anything from any other tank in this tank
I guess this tank will have to go down in the book of mysteries. It is only 3.5 gallons of water but I still can't imagine how 3ppm ammonia can produce 80ppm nitrates. It does look like you have a magic tank :D

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Typ
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
mattgirl