20 Gallon Tank Cycling 20 gallon please help

TwettiiBabii

So I'm cycling a 20 gallon long aquarium.. live plants and rocks with sand.. I started June 4th and been testing every chance I got and the ammonia went down to 0 and Nitrites was 2.0 and 0 nitrates than Nitrates went to 5.0-10.0 and finally nitrites went to 0 and nitrates was 5.0.. No fish in tank yet and my nitrates are at 0 now is that good or bad?? I don't want to put fish in it till I know it's safe.. and also can I put a aqueon 50w heater in a 20 gallon? (Pictures show some of my testing over the month)

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_114951953~2.jpg
    IMG_20220618_114951953~2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220623_100044204_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220623_100044204_HDR.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220627_134921765.jpg
    IMG_20220627_134921765.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220629_173942325.jpg
    IMG_20220629_173942325.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4

StarGirl

Are you dosing ammonia to the tank?

xnhx

Assuming your nitrates spiked and then both ammonia and nitrates went back to zero, with some nitrites building, I would say your tank is cycled. If you're worried, you can always do heavy water changes for the first couple weeks after adding fish. As for the heater, I'm not as knowledgeable but I believe that would be fine in a 20 long. What fish do you plan to add?

Azedenkae

No.. I just added alil fish food every 2 or 3 days
You have to 'ghostfeed' the tank, i.e. add as much fish food and as regularly as if the tank is fully stocked, and if ammonia and nitrite remains zero for at least ten days consecutively then, then your tank is considered cycled.

TwettiiBabii

Assuming your nitrates spiked and then both ammonia and nitrates went back to zero, with some nitrites building, I would say your tank is cycled. If you're worried, you can always do heavy water changes for the first couple weeks after adding fish. As for the heater, I'm not as knowledgeable but I believe that would be fine in a 20 long. What fish do you plan to add?
I got one small goldfish and 2 corydoras I know goldfish need bigger tank but I'm working on getting bigger one.. but wanted to put him in a 20 gallon til I got a bigger one.. so when can I move them to the 20 gallon??

xnhx

I got one small goldfish and 2 corydoras I know goldfish need bigger tank but I'm working on getting bigger one.. but wanted to put him in a 20 gallon til I got a bigger one.. so when can I move them to the 20 gallon??
Depending on the kind of goldfish you will be looking for at least a 55 gallon in the future, and will need to stick to much colder water tankmates should you get more, just thought I'd mention. You will be safe putting them in, but test the water twice weekly for a bit just in case. Also, get more cories, as they're very social and become much more entertaining in groups.

TwettiiBabii

Depending on the kind of goldfish you will be looking for at least a 55 gallon in the future, and will need to stick to much colder water tankmates should you get more, just thought I'd mention. You will be safe putting them in, but test the water twice weekly for a bit just in case. Also, get more cories, as they're very social and become much more entertaining in groups.
Just a regular common goldfish (feeder goldfish).. not fantail or any fancy ones I've had his water set at 72-73 cause of the corydoras and he's been happy for over 2 months.. and I was planning on getting more I see them all time in my mom's fishtank they fun to watch..

xnhx

Just a regular common goldfish (feeder goldfish).. not fantail or any fancy ones I've had his water set at 72-73 cause of the corydoras and he's been happy for over 2 months.. and I was planning on getting more I see them all time in my mom's fishtank they fun to watch..
Sounds good. Kist expect him to easily reach 6-8 inches if not more. Not doubting your knowledge but for too many people get them expecting them to stay small and happy in a bowl. Glad you're getting more cories. Best of luck!

TwettiiBabii

Sounds good. Kist expect him to easily reach 6-8 inches if not more. Not doubting your knowledge but for too many people get them expecting them to stay small and happy in a bowl. Glad you're getting more cories. Best of luck!
Thanks! And thank u for help

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sdf
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
hampalong