Cycling 2-gallon no-tech nano shrimp tank

AtlasGlobe

Hello! I'm currently in the process of setting up a 2-gallon planted no-tech (aside from heater) nano shrimp tank, and I was looking for advice for cycling/establishing the tank. My current plan was to do 50% water changes for a week, then if the water conditions have stabilized do 50% water changes once per week. Do y'all think this is a good idea? I would be monitoring the water conditions throughout this, and I'll be waiting until conditions are stabilized for a week before adding shrimp. Any advice is appreciated!

ProudPapa

Hello,

My best advice would be to set the tank up with plenty of live plants and a few snails, and leave it alone, other than the occasional water change and topping off, for three months. Then add your shrimp. They stand a much better chance of survival in a tank that's had time to build up a good supply of biofilm for them to graze on.

By the way, if the tank will be kept in a room that's comfortable for you you don't really need a heater for just shrimp. I have a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank on my desk at work, and the only appliance it has is a light (for the plants). Shrimp can tolerate much colder temperatures than just about any commonly kept aquarium fish.

I want to emphasize that you will need plenty of live plants since there won't be any filtration or water movement.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree with ProudPapa Should you choose to use snails for your ammonia source they are going to provide the ammonia needed to cycle this tank. The longer you can hold off on adding shrimp the better. Weekly water changes shouldn't be needed while cycling this tank. Leave the low amount of ammonia the snails will be providing in there to feed the bacteria. Unlike fish we don't have to keep the ammonia down to negligible levels for most snails
I let my 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl run for about a year with nothing but a few ramshorn snails and lots of plants before I got brave enough to add shrimp to it. Of course you don't have to wait that long. I would give it 3 or 4 months though.

I added a sponge filter a couple of months before I added the first shrimp. All the shrimp I finally added to the bowl thrived and I now have way more in there than I should.

Upvote 0

AtlasGlobe

Thank y'all for the replies! I have another question then because I actually have some bacteria inserts/head start solution that I got from my local fish place -- do you think using that would speed up the process, or should I hold off since it's such a small tank?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Thank y'all for the replies! I have another question then because I actually have some bacteria inserts/head start solution that I got from my local fish place -- do you think using that would speed up the process, or should I hold off since it's such a small tank?

I wouldn't use it.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Sometimes adding bacteria products have helped speed up a cycle but when we are setting up a tank for shrimp we don't need to speed up the cycle. We just need to give the tank time to get well established.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Morpheus1967
Replies
Views
Gandolf
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies