Cycling 10g

Kimberley2ka

I have a 10 gallon tank cycling currently that I put tank water from my pea puffer tank (established for a year now) in. I have been adding Stability and ammonia. Not sure if I’m suppose to add both of those? But the ammonia has been at 4ppm since...April 12th when I added a some ammonia. The nitrites are currently at 0.25ppm and nitrates at 0. What did I do along the way that has messed up the cycle? Or do I just have to be patient?
Thanks!

michelle95

Did you swap over the old media? Putting in water from an established tank won't cycle it, it just contains old waste etc. Bacteria isn't really free floating and actually grows on your filter media, gravel, decor, & other hard surfaces.

Kimberley2ka

I was going to transfer the old substrate but it just didn’t work out to and now it is in a bucket, nice and dried out...
But I didn’t expect much when I used the cycled tank’s water. I’m confused as to why my ammonia has not budged though...

Aquadisiac

Do you have any media you could either seed in your established tank or could take a small piece and transfer it into your cycling tank?
You could try a water change and dosing ammonia again. Some people swear that a water change will jump start a stalled cycle. Are you dosing daily or did you dose in the beginning and it still hasn't decreased?
Have you tested your tap water to see what parameters you are working with? Seems odd your ammonia is not decreasing but you have nitrites.
I recently had a bit of a stall in my 10 gallon I'm cycling as a biofilm built up on the water surface, my filter was not creating enough surface agitation. I have read that some attribute that to cutting off oxygen which is important in cycling.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to gather more info!

Kimberley2ka

In my already established tank I switched the substrate about 2 ish weeks ago and put new decor and new plants...so I guess I kinda of screwed myself over with that.
I have dosed ammonia 2 times so far. First dose was on April 9th and I dose for 4ppm. I dosed with stability starting on April 8th and have continued to do so and will do so until tomorrow as that is the seven days. On April 10th ammonia was down to 2ppm. On the 12th it was down to 0ppm and I dosed back up to 4ppm, nitrite at that point was 0ppm.
Today ammonia is 4ppm and nitrite 0.25ppm.

I might do a partial water change tomorrow and then see from there what readings I get. Should I continue with the stability? On my other cycling tanks I didn’t use stability and they are cycling as expected. This 10 gallon just isn’t now.

Aquadisiac

Have you tested today?

Kimberley2ka

I did a 3 gallon water change a bit ago and just finished testing to see what’s up.
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

Sooo I think things are going well now?

Aquadisiac

Kimberley2ka said:
I did a 3 gallon water change a bit ago and just finished testing to see what’s up.
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

Sooo I think things are going well now?
I would leave it and test tomorrow. Hopefully, your ammonia will be down and nitrites will spike and move you through the cycle!

Kimberley2ka

Here’s hoping! I have 2 tanks cycling right now and I’m about to rip my hair out! Lol. Mts is tough.

Top Bottom