Cycling 10g Question

1. ajoyfulbettta

ajoyfulbettta Valued Member Member

i have everything ready to cycle, dropper, ammonia, test kit, but now i ask the question, how?

do i just add a drop everyday? how much? i'll be cycling two 10g, so i want it to be right so u don't have to start both over. how often do i test? how long should it take?

a step by step would be amazing. thanks!

2. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Add a drop of what everyday?

Also welcome to fish lore!

3. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

the ammonia ?

4. Gdpierce79

Oh! Okay. I am sorry, I’ve never cycled with pure ammonia. For fish food though, I added a pinch everyday when cycling my 10 gal. I would test it the first day, because you need to know if there is ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite in your tap. Test every 2-4 days. Not much will be happening at first. Sorry I can’t help with the ammonia, though.

Also, are you getting plants? If you are, let me know. I cycled my 25 with plants and a fish. Plants come from cycled water, so they have some bacteria on them already. The fish will feed the plants, but the plants eat enough waste to keep the ammonia and nitrites from hurting it.

Also, off topic, what will you stock it with? Just curious.

5. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

It's no problem! I am planning to plant one tank, which will be a divided betta tank for my desk, maybe some shrimp, frogbit on the top for sure, but i actually have no idea what to actually plant, just thinking small and not too much green. the other is a community with guppies green neon tetras and a pleco, tgat won't be planted, it's already set up with fake plants

6. Gdpierce79

Sounds great, except the pleco. What type is it? If it is a common, you will need to get rid of it or upsize to at least a 50 gallon.

Edit: I love guppies! So cute and full of personality. How many tetra do you plan to have?

7. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

a clown, i made a thread just for it haha most said it was fine, it was between a pleco or corys

8. Gdpierce79

I am pretty sure that clown plecos grow up to a foot and a half... I’ll double check though.
    Edit: totally wrong. I was thinking clown loach

9. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Clowns only get 4-5 inches

10. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

11. Gdpierce79

I was freaking out for a second! Haha. I’ll leave the rest to someone else, unless you have any other questions.

12. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

gotta say, i did laugh out loud! do you know if any inverts that can could go with the betta in the divided? i like bright shrimp, but u don't know if the betta would go after them!
    i also know for sure i'm going to get some moss balls, would that add protection for them?
    also, any recommended small plants for the divided?
    and i'm always up for some recommendations for my community tank, still have about 5 more weeks until i'll be getting the fish :)

13. Gdpierce79

Hmm... I have a Betta with a Nerite snail. They don’t even notice each other. I have another tank with a handful of shrimp and some fish. Amano shrimp cleans the best. They are clear and super cool. If it were not divided, you might have gotten away with kuhlis. I LOVE them! They are like cute little snakes! Nocturnal, but still a favorite. :)

I guess I would say to stock the community as:
    1 pleco
    6 tetra
    1-3 guppies

14. justintrunzo

justintrunzo New Member Member

i will say with the clown pleco make sure to have some driftwood in there for him it will make him very happy i got mine at pobably an inch and a half hes grown about an inch in a couple of months but he is always on the driftwood

15. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

16. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

definitely, ive read a lot about them and their driftwood love! where did you get yours?

17. justintrunzo

justintrunzo New Member Member

i just got mine at my LFS i fell in love with him as soon as i saw him i have lots of driftwood in my tank he was very skiddish at first he would never come out if iwas near the tank but since hes grown a little bit he is out a lotmore now he also loves all the dragon stone i have in the tank!