Cycling 10g With Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by esnabes, Jul 25, 2019.

1. esnabes

esnabesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Help please! My LFS told me I could cycle my new 10 gallon with a Betta. Lesson learned! Before I added him I dosed with Prime (7 days ago), waited 48 hours, & then added my Betta, along with Tetra Safestart Plus. I tested the tap water at the beginning with a API master test kit & my readings haven’t changed at all since! Today is day 5 with my Betta in the tank. What should be my next step?

pH - 6.6
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 0

2. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi there and welcome to fishlore! Prime is great. It binds ammonia and makes it harmless to fish (when used correctly) but only for 24 hours at a time. So far, you’re doing well. You have a low bioload in your tank right now, so your bacteria haven’t begun to grow quickly. This is especially true if you’re doing suitable water changes (I’d say 50% a day).

Keep (or start) doing water changes, and dose prime and monitor your parameters daily. Cycling takes time, and requires a lot of patience. Eventually, your fish’s waste and some uneaten food with begin to feed your fledgling bacteria colony.

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,706
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    With just the bio-load of your one little guy in a 10 gallon tank you should not see any drastic spikes. Just keep an eye on the numbers and do a water change if needed. I would do a 50% water change once a week. If you should get an ammonia reading before water change day, depending on the number, go ahead and add enough Prime to treat the full volume of the tank. If the ammonia level is 1 or more do a water change to get it back down and then add Prime.

Keep in mind. A cycled tank is important but it isn't the most important thing. The health and safety of your fish has to be your first priority. As long as the only fish in this tank is this one little guy 50% water changes each and every week should keep him safe.

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Control your cycle with your stocking level. Plants also help a great amount. They love ammonia.

5. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    This.^^^ (MrBryan723) With my 5 gal I did a 25-50% water change every two days while double dosing prime to bind ammonia in every change! Don't let up on the upkeep even a little so your finned friend can keep healthy. Hand feed him only small amounts of food and even skip a day in between if you have to. A fish in cycle can be done, but it's delicate and tenacious work. (I made a similar mistake as you. Hang in there! ;) )

6. OP
    OP
    esnabes

esnabesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I have two moss balls, 1 Anubias, & 1 Amazon Sword. I also have a Java Fern & Repens that I haven’t added yet. Is that too much?
    I’m worried about using the Prime with water changes since I used the Tetra Safestart Plus. The bottle also said not to do a water change for two weeks so I haven’t done one yet. It’s day 6 & still zeros across the board (pH is still 6.6). Should I do a water change anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  7. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh no not at all. The more plants the better as long as you have fertilizer for them. If they start dying off then you have a problem but most of the ones you mentioned are pretty hardy plants.

8. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,706
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As long as you are not seeing an ammonia spike I don't think it will be a problem to wait the full 2 weeks. If you do see one I do recommend you do a water change even if it hasn't been a full 2 weeks.

It is possible that the TSS is processing the tiny bit of ammonia your little guy is producing or your plants could be using it as quickly as it is being produced. If that is the case there will be little to none the left to feed the bacteria TSS added.

It is one of those catch 22 things. You need ammonia to grow and feed bacteria but you don't want to expose your fish to ammonia.

Hopefully you will see some nitrates by the end of the 2 weeks. If you don't I have to think there wasn't enough ammonia to feed the bacteria in the TSS but it isn't the end of the world. 50% weekly water changes and thriving plants should keep your little guy healthy. Once a month I would change 75% of the water instead of just 50%.

As long as you continue doing the water changes it won't matter if the tank never cycles. A cycled tank is more for our benefit. The bacteria keeps the levels of ammonia/nitrites down to zero. Water changes can and will do the same thing.

9. OP
    OP
    esnabes

esnabesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I have Flourite as the substrate, but was thinking of buying ThriveC after reading some threads on here. Is that overkill? This is the first tank I’ve ever had so I’m brand new at this!

Awesome, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  10. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just follow proper dosing and you should be fine. One of the beauties about Amazon swords is that you can trim off the excess growth with no harm so it will keep putting on new growth and maintain a good balance.
    @mattgirl does bring up a good point tho. You have several plants for a single fish so you might not ever get much of an ammonia or nitrate reading. Especially since Amazon swords are pretty fast growing.
    While I wouldnt change out such large volumes they suggested unless you do see ammonia. But keep it under .25 and either way you would be fine. There is so much decaying matter in the rice fields bettas originate from that they are ok with trace amounts in the water column.

11. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,706
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You are probably right about how much water I recommend changing each week but I am a firm believer in keeping fish in the freshest water we can give them. So many diseases can be avoided just by keeping the water clean.

I know 50% changes are recommended when dosing Thrive. They recommend at least 30% weekly if using ThriveC. Fortunately large water changes are very easy for a 5.5 gallon tank.
    I don't think it is overkill at all. Since one pump treats 10 gallons you may want to find a different way of measuring how much you add each week.

What I do is put about a cup of tank water from my 5.5 gallon tank in a glass. I do one pump of Thrive in the glass. Then I divide that cup of water between my 5.5 gallon (1/2 cup), the 2.5 gallon bowl of plants (1/4 cup) and the rest in the 2.5 gallon snail jar.

12. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    For sure. The only reason I would say less is because of wasting the ferts. That stuff is expensive

13. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,706
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just checked out how much one pump pumps out. It is 1ml. There are 500 mls in a bottle of thrive. For a 5.5 gallon tank it will take 1/2ml a week or if there are a lot of plants one may need to dose twice a week so 1ml a week. At 1 ml a week a bottle should last for a very long time :)

Water changes shouldn't be removing the Thrive. The plants should use it up before the water change needs to be done. That is how I look at it when I see the price tag of a product. It does seem very expensive to begin with but Like Prime a little goes a very long way.

14. OP
    OP
    esnabes

esnabesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys! One more question! I have a penguin 100 bio wheel filter that came with my Marineland 10 gallon kit. Do I need to add special stuff to the filter or customize anything? From what I’m seeing on here it seems I need to add a sponge filter on the intake & add some sort of media bag to the actual filter? Is any of that necessary for a tank this small? If so, what would you guys recommend? I can’t adjust the flow, but it doesn’t seem to bother my Betta.

15. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,706
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most of us that have been doing this for a while have stopped putting money in the pocket of the filter cartridge makers. Instead of having to buy and replace the cartridges when they get clogged up you can replace them with media that seldom ever has to be replaced.

I use both matrix and lava rock in a media bag in my hang on back filters. You can add a sponge for mechanical filtration. Instead of having to replace anything the sponge can be rinsed out during water changes and should last for a very long time. a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube catches a lot of stuff that would end up in your filter but isn't totally necessary.

Become a Fishlore Member