cycling 10 gallon with 3 baby fry

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok here is the situation. I'm aware of the nitrogen cycle. i've been trying to cycle a 20 gal for over a month with 10 fish living in it. (wasn't away of the nitrogen cycle at time of setting up that tank.) anyway one of the mollies at some fry on March 20th. we had moved them to a 1.5 gal uncycled tank (still unaware of the cycle) they stayed there and were fine for over a month and all the reading were fine except in both the 1.5 and 20 gal we can't seem to get rid of the ammonia reading (stayed at .25) We are using the API Master Test Kit. This past weekend we lost 3 of the six fry all of a sudden. I'm guessing the ammonia finally got to them. So we figured the remaining 3 would have a better shot of surviving if we moved them to a uncycled 10 gal tank then keeping them in the 1.5 gal. So we moved them yesterday morning into the new tank. (May 2nd) there are no plants or gravel in the tank. i just tested the water and the readings are

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0

so my question is were do i go from here? I would appreciate constant help if possible. Should i do a water change tonight? if so how much?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is your ammonia reading on water straight from the tap?

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
not sure haven't tested it yet, but when i did test it back when we used test strips there was no ammonia in our tap.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
3 fry shouldn't be adding much waste to a 10 gallon, how often are you feeding, and are you cleaning up after feedings?

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i've been feeding them two or three times a day and no I'm not cleaning up after. they are still eating the powered food we got from the store and in about a minute the food gets moved around so much from the current of the watering flowing from the filter there is nothing to clean up

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it should eventually settle on the bottom, or pile up on the filter. what kind of substrate are you using in the fry tank? The reason I'm asking is because I don't think 3 fry make that large of an impact on the ammonia levels by themselves.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sorry still new to fish. explain substrate?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
substrate is the stuff on the bottom, like gravel, sand, etc?

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
its a bare bottom but this tank had been used previously it is what we had our 10 fish in before we transfered them to the 20 gal. i don't know if that means anything but i thought i'd throw that in there. o and the filter on the 10 we had on the 20 to try and help the tank cycle quicker by having to filter on it. but we changed the filter before putting it back on the 10

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh sorry i missed that in your first post. Okay so we need to figure out where the ammonia came from. did you use completely new water when you put them in the new tank?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm cycling a 5 gallon with 5 fry in it and in theory, overfeeding a smidge will add some ammonia to the tank so that's what I'm doing. I have no proof that it will work in reality, but it sounds good on paper. . But I doubt that 3 fry in a 10 gallon is enough, heck I'm not even sure if my 5 fry in my 5 gallon is enough.

It can't hurt to do a 20-25% water change but it sounds like you've got a long way to go to get this tank cycled. Is your 20 gallon cycled? If so, add some gravel in a brand new pair of panty hose and/or some decoration and/or any extra filter media you may have, if any, to the 10 gallon to help get the cycle going.

-Lisa

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yes

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i don't think our 20 gal has completely cycled. like i said in my first post we can't seem to get rid of the ammonia

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
honestly if you want to save yourself alot of stress just see if a LFS will give you some cycled filter media or substrate, even if you have to pay a few bucks for it , it's worth getting rid of the headache that fish-in cycling creates.

But definitely keep doing water changes and try to keep the ammonia as low as possible, in my fry tank while cycling I did a 50% vacuum/water change every day, and it read 1.0-2.0 ammonia every day, until finally it started going down on its own.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok I'll just do water changes and hope for the best.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads