75 Gallon Tank cycled

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok now that my tank is finaly cycled , when do I start to clean filter. I have a aquaclear 110 , do I waite a month or so. its been running 8 weeks now and was wondering.

Last edited:

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so it was just cycled? then i'd wait to rinse the media for a while. if you look at it and it seems to be very dirty, give it a quick rinse in old tank water, while doing a water change.

i have an aquaclear too.....i took my carbon out and just put more sponges and biomax in. but don't take it out too soon (to either replace it, or put more biomax in) i did and got a mini cycle. but carbon can't stay very long, like the other two. so maybe in a few weeks take it out.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I clean my filters every 3 months or so. Since you have an aquaclear, I wouldn't do anything to it except change the carbon.

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I took the carbon long be for it was cycled and put more biomax in. So should I waite about 2 more months??

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To clean the FILTER, yes. You'll probably need to rinse the sponge at some point before that...perhaps in another month.

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was wondering because my filter makeing a sucking sound , but flow is stii good!!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The good thing about aquaclears is that it has three stages so you never have to clean all of the media at once. So personally if you think it needs it really bad then change maybe just the carbon and then the next month change the foam, then the next change the biomax. If you can wait I'd hold off until next month.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Please note that you do not have to change the sponges and bio max in your Aqua Clear filters. You can use these until they are falling apart. I have some sponges in my wet/dry filter that are over 10 years old. The only reason manufacturers suggest replacing this media is to make money.

The only thing that needs to be replaced is the carbon, every 3 to 4 weeks. After this period it looses it effectiveness.

Your sponges and bio max can be rinsed in siphoned tank water (never tap water!) every few months or if you see the flow diminish. There is no need to replace the sponges and bio max with new ones.

I am currently running 7 Aqua Clear filters on 4 tanks.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom