55 Gallon Tank Cycled?

warpedmind41
I set up an aquarium yesterday and have had it running for about 19 hours now. Have a Pleco, two blue Gouramis, and a catfish in the tank. The Pleco and catfish I put in there yesterday about two hours after running it, and the Gouramis I put in about three hours ago. They all look great, they're all eating. They all look healthy and happy. When I had it running yesterday I put all of the ornaments from the old tank into the new, not washing them, so I could keep the bacteria on them. And I put in the filter floss from the old aquarium into the new with the new aquarium media in there, so it would have a good jump start. I just checked my water parameters and my ammonia was about .1 and everything else was 0. The pH was normal. Did it cycle that fast? Or is it just begining to cycle? I figured with the fish in there the ammonia would ne up and everything? Did having all of that older stuff in there from a cycled tank maybe let it skip it?

iloveengl
It hasn't skipped, it sounds like at .1 ammonia and 0 nitrAtes, it's just just just beginning to cycle. It's good that you transfered the cycled media, but now that you have fish in there, it's going to take a lot more work to cycle it. Can you temporarily return those fish? If not, buy a bottle of Prime or Ammolock to keep the ammonia neutralized during daily 30% water changes.

It will be cycled when ammonia is 0, nitrIte is 0, and nitrate is between 5-20.

What size is your tank? COuld you please fill out your profile info so we can offer more specific advice to meet your needs.

Plecos reach 20" and needs a minimum 55 gallons. Blue gouramis are extremely territorial fish - your pleco and one or both of your gouramis are likely to be stressed/nipped/killed unless you have tons of hiding places and cubbyholes for each gourami.

Lucy
Sometimes when you seed a new tank with used filter media/gravel/decorations it takes a few days for the bacteria to multiply.
imo, 19 hours is too soon to tell. Keep a close eye on the parameters and do water changes as needed.
What test kit are you using that you got a .1 reading?

warpedmind41
I bought a 'master kit' at Petsmart. I'm guessing .1, because it was more yellow than the yellow-green collor for .25. A lot more yellow, but not quite yellow.

I put the info for the 55 gallon earlier. It's a 55 gallon, FYI. I put all that I know under the tanks thing or whatever. I dunno. The fish all seem fine. I'll test the water again tomorrow and see if anything has changed. But so far it seems to me like nothing is wrong, it just seemed weird for everything to be zero or near zero, especially with the fish that are in there and the media I put in.

iloveengl
Huh. You don't have a drop down window for aquarium info., which is why I asked. That's odd if you filled it out. I wonder if anyone else can see it. Do you see a drop down "Aquarium Info" window under your name (like the one beneath Lucy's cat avatar)?

Anywho, maybe the nitrAte bottle didn't get shaken enough and that's why it shows zero for everything..... You have to REALLY shake it REALLY vigorously to break the crystals and get the proper reading.

Edit: I went through your profile and accessed your info. You say you have an unidentified "weird looking catfish" . If you post a pic, I'm positive we'd be able to identify it for you. Could it be a bristlenose? [

warpedmind41
I do not have one by my name.

But as far at the nitrate bottle, I shook it really good for a little over a minute. I mean, I shook it hard and my arm really hurt afterwards. xD

But as far as the catfish goes, I've seen them at Petsmart again, lots of them. I just got it because I like fishing and it reminded me of fishing, and it was $2 and I needed it at school. I don't really need to know the name of it. I've been kind of waiting for it to..er...die off. It sounds horrible, but it got munched on about 6 months ago and has this big part of his side missing, and it just looks like...gross. It's not a pleco, though.

Anyways, though. Tomorrow after class I'll try the tests again. And I'll make sure to super shake the bottle again, maybe go for two minutes to be safe.

Lucy
At the top left under My Settings, you can edit your aquarium info.

warpedmind41
Lucy said:
At the top left under My Settings, you can edit your aquarium info.
I did that this morning. I have no idea why it isn't viewable by others, but oh well.

Aquarist
Hello Warpedmind. Great information above. Hopefully due to the fact that you've "seeded" your aquarium with filter media from an established aquarium, it won't take too long to cycle. Keep up with your daily water changes as mentioned above and add Prime or Ammolock to detox the ammonia for the 24 hour period until it's time for the next water change. Do this until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5-20 nitrates. (even 5-10 is better). Please don't add any more fish until your cycle is completed.

As for filling out your aquarium information: Once you have it filled out don't forget to hit "save" at the bottom of the screen. If you need more help let us know.

Best wishes and keep us posted.
Ken

warpedmind41
aquarist48 said:
Hello Warpedmind. Great information above. Hopefully due to the fact that you've "seeded" your aquarium with filter media from an established aquarium, it won't take too long to cycle. Keep up with your daily water changes as mentioned above and add Prime or Ammolock to detox the ammonia for the 24 hour period until it's time for the next water change. Do this until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5-20 nitrates. (even 5-10 is better). Please don't add any more fish until your cycle is completed.

As for filling out your aquarium information: Once you have it filled out don't forget to hit "save" at the bottom of the screen. If you need more help let us know.

Best wishes and keep us posted.
Ken
I'm hoping it will speed it up as well. I've heard of other people doing it and it cut their time down by a lot, it seemed, because I put the entire olf one in there, not just a chunk I cut off, haha. And all of the old ornaments were put right in there from the old to the new. I have to go to Petsmart today after classes, so I'll make sure to get some of that Ammolock stuff while I'm there and tonight I'll also check the water parameters again. I just woke up and looked at the tank, which is right next to me, and all of the fish are seeming happy and healthy. Except the two Gouramis keep eating the Pleco's algae discs, haha.

As for the aquarium information, I did hit save. I just looked back and it was how I did it yesterday to update it. I just have no idea why it isn't showing up next to my name in a drop down menu.

Beth1965
I was following this thread since yesterday...
I was sceptical that my new tank would cycle 'almost immediatly' with media and plants from another one of my own established tanks.
It really did work. Immediatly.
I filled with water and media/plants on Saturday and the readings are still fantastic.
7. (something) for ph, zippo amonia, nI 0 and nA 10/ish. I have been putting in a smidgen of flakes since Saturday/no fish to add until this afternoon.
Beth

warpedmind41
My ammonia spiked a little last night to .5. I got some Aqeon Ammonia Neutrilizer. The were out of Ammolock and the other stuff didn't look legit. I used it. I'm testing my water now to see how it goes. The fish all look healthy and they're eating very well. So I don't think anything is wrong with them right now.

warpedmind41
Alright, well, the ammonia has slowly been going up. I haven't had any fish die. They are all eating like crazy and getting along very nicely. As of right now I'm testing the Nitrites to see if they have gone up at all. I've been using the ammonia neutrilizer, so hopefully that is keeping the fish healthy and what not. The nitrites are still at 0, and I'm testing nitrates now as well, and they appear to be at 0 still as well. Guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

Aquarist
Hello Warpedmind. Try going to the top of this screen and click on "my settings". Then click on "edit aquarium information" and try again. Just hit save even if you don't make any changes. See if that makes it appear on your posts. You can check any post that you've made to see if it's there.

As for your cycle, did you keep all of your filter media wet while you were doing the transfer?
Was there always a food source for your biological filtration/media in the original tank?
How long was the original tank set up?
What type of filtration are you using?
How long did it take you to do the transfer?
Is the filter you switched over large enough, gallon per hour wise(gph), for the 55 gallon tank?
Sorry for all of the questions but your answers will surely help us to help you.

I recently switched from a 155g tank to a 265g tank. The filter on the 155g was not large enough to work by itself for the 265g so I bought 2 additional filters (Aqua Clear (AC)110's 500gph). I placed all of the new filter media (from the AC's) inside the 155g tank for seeding at least 2 months prior to doing the switch. I had an instant cycle once I switched to the 265g. I feel that you don't have enough filtration for the 55 gallon as far as biological media is concerned to compensate for the increased gallons of water. I think this may be why your cycle wasn't instant. (this is just my opinion).
Once your cycle is complete you may very well have enough filtration and good bio media to sustain your tank. So don't rush out and buy a new one unless you have to.
Your filtration should be 8 to 10 x the volume of your tank. A 55 gallon tank should have at least 440gph for optimal filtration. Too, more is better as long as your fish can handle the current.
oops:A bit windy on this post)
Keep us posted.
Ken

warpedmind41
My filter has 225gph. :-x It's been working great so far, though, my water looks extremely clear. This is the filter that I have: The 55 gallon model. If I need to, I can go ahead and get another cheap filter, but I'm a big strapped for cash right now. Although I'm supposed to be getting my $152 Lady Gaga ticket refund soon() super sad about that right now. Anyways, though.

As for your cycle, did you keep all of your filter media wet while you were doing the transfer? I did keep it all wet during the transfer, infact, I kept the filter going while I took the media out and transferred it.

Was there always a food source for your biological filtration/media in the original tank? I don't really know what you mean by food source. :-x Sorry.

How long was the original tank set up? The original tank was set up for...uhmm...about 9 months, I believe.

What type of filtration are you using? The filtration system is in a link above.

How long did it take you to do the transfer? Do you mean f the media to the new system? About 2 seconds.

Is the filter you switched over large enough, gallon per hour wise(GPH), for the 55 gallon tank? I bought a whole new filter, and just put the older filter floss into it with the new filter media.

Aquarist
Thanks for the responses to my questions Warpedmind. Sounds like you are on the right track. How are your readings today? Any closer to being cycled?

Depending on your aquarium stock load, and when you have the means, I would consider increasing your filtration to 440gph if not 550 gph. I think you'll see a big difference in the long run.

Keep us posted
Ken

warpedmind41
Well, I'll definitely look into getting an extra filter to put on there, if anything, I have two ten gallon filters I could hook up to it temporarily. In a week or two I should have the money to buy an extra filter to put into it. I was actually thinking a second filter would be a good idea, just to be safe. Thank you for telling me about the gph, I didn't know there was a formula or anything.

As for my readings today;
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 5

My ammonia has dropped from like 1.5 and my nitrite and nitrate have both jumped straight from 0 to 5. Is this good or bad? Is that nitrite number bad?

warpedmind41
I just tested my water parameters and almost everything is the same, except my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrate inched up a bit.

Shawnie
great job! its coming along well ..

warpedmind41
It's going a lot faster than I expected, just as fast as I was hoping, too. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the weekend so I can get some more fish to put in. Now I'm just waiting for my 29 to cycle. I've been running it for four days and just put some guppies in to help it along, because I didn't have any old filter media to put in and I cleaned ther sand that is in it and everything. I haven't checked the parameters there yet, hmm..I may do that now.

Shawnie
using established media and such will speed things up....but once a tank cycles, you do not want to add fish for about 2 weeks after it is completed...its too unstable to start adding when you already have fish in there..and big waste producers on top of that like the plec...as far as the 29, with fish, you must keep an eye on it or ammonia/nitrites could kill them if they spike...good luck!

warpedmind41
True, true. I will probably wait a bit to add more fish. I'm more concerned with getting my axolotls for my 29. And I need the monies for those.

gmen4life
you may have to do daily pwc for like 2 weeks or so to keep the ammonia low until the bacteria multiplies and if you use prime it will help from poisonig your fish

warpedmind41
gmen4life said:
you may have to do daily pwc for like 2 weeks or so to keep the ammonia low until the bacteria multiplies and if you use prime it will help from poisonig your fish
What're you talkin' about?

warpedmind41
Water parameters tonight:
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0!!
Nitrite: .75!!
Nitrate: 10!!

My nitrites dropped from 5 to .75! It's almost done, it looks like!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom