Cycled??

Colbyxxs

Hey guys, so after a long few weeks, I finally got these readings. Is this cycled?

Azedenkae

Hey guys, so after a long few weeks, I finally got these readings. Is this cycled?
Doesn't look like it.

How have you been cycling this tank? I had a look and seemed like you have multiple tanks. What's going on with this one?

Colbyxxs

Doesn't look like it.

How have you been cycling this tank? I had a look and seemed like you have multiple tanks. What's going on with this one?
We had it cycled but ended up putting sponges in instead of carbon filters. It messed a bit up, but I’ve done everything for the fish in cycle & just am curious as to what it should read. I always read that the ammonia is never really yellow. It always has a slight green tint most of the time even if it’s 0

PAcanis

My ammonia has been pale yellow once. It always has a tinge of green, but it's far from 0.25 on the chart. Yours looks much more green than mine ever did.
And mine is without fish.

Azedenkae

We had it cycled but ended up putting sponges in instead of carbon filters. It messed a bit up, but I’ve done everything for the fish in cycle & just am curious as to what it should read. I always read that the ammonia is never really yellow. It always has a slight green tint most of the time even if it’s 0
In that case, even though it did not look like it, yeah sounds like in your particular case it is indeed cycled.

Depending on the tank, some people register actual yellow (0), while others read more like 0.25ppm. If it is a fish-in cycle and ammonia has remain steady at 0.25ppm for a while now, you are good.

StarGirl

My ammonia has been pale yellow once. It always has a tinge of green, but it's far from 0.25 on the chart. Yours looks much more green than mine ever did.
And mine is without fish.
And mine is always true yellow unless I have been messing with things and know its going to spike a little, then its a wee bit greenish. One of those thing we will probably never understand totally. ;)

PAcanis

And mine is always true yellow unless I have been messing with things and know its going to spike a little, then its a wee bit greenish. One of those thing we will probably never understand totally. ;)

The thing I don't like about the API test is that it relies on a person's perception of comparing a liquid color to a dry color. How many times have you ever looked at a color swatch for paint and it's been off? Even after it has dried?
We really need an electronic device to set it to ammonia, nitrate, nitrate (etc), add a drop of water to and we get a digital readout.

For around 20 bucks :cool: lol

Azedenkae

The thing I don't like about the API test is that it relies on a person's perception of comparing a liquid color to a dry color. How many times have you ever looked at a color swatch for paint and it's been off? Even after it has dried?
We really need an electronic device to set it to ammonia, nitrate, nitrate (etc), add a drop of water to and we get a digital readout.

, this is so true.

I was so hesitant to make a call with op's test results since it looked pretty green. But then op said it was slightly green, and then I remembered that not only is it hard to see what color a test result is in person sometimes, it is even harder to gauge the color from a photo so was like, yeah k. >_>

Honestly I really want to get a Seneye. It costs a bit, and thinking about how much I have spent on ammonia and pH test kits, plus thermometers, yeah it is probably approaching the cost now. But it's still a pain since it does not measure nitrite or nitrate. D: If only those two were automatic too.

Also once the tank is cycled and everything is stable, I feel like it becomes a glorified thermometer lol.

Colbyxxs

In that case, even though it did not look like it, yeah sounds like in your particular case it is indeed cycled.

Depending on the tank, some people register actual yellow (0), while others read more like 0.25ppm. If it is a fish-in cycle andammonia has remain steady at 0.25ppm for a while now, you are good.
Okay awesome, we’ve been at it a while doing it. We don’t usually like doing that method, but we didn’t really have a choice. Unless we wanted to move all the guys to a smaller tank with others. It just didn’t seem like an option. But enough prime & stability, they seemed to make it through alright. I was really really on top of it, daily testing, keeping an eye on them, changes when needed, double filtration. So I’m praying it’s went through & they’ll be okay now.
But the level I got was indeed .25 or even lower. We got home around 5-6 from the beach so it wasn’t the best light. Kinda looks darker there. But, it was definitely not .5 at all.

that’d change everything

Azedenkae

Okay awesome, we’ve been at it a while doing it. We don’t usually like doing that method, but we didn’t really have a choice. Unless we wanted to move all the guys to a smaller tank with others. It just didn’t seem like an option. But enough prime & stability, they seemed to make it through alright. I was really really on top of it, daily testing, keeping an eye on them, changes when needed, double filtration. So I’m praying it’s went through & they’ll be okay now.
But the level I got was indeed .25 or even lower. We got home around 5-6 from the beach so it wasn’t the best light. Kinda looks darker there. But, it was definitely not .5 at all.
Yeh, if it has been 0.25 or less for a while, without water changes, that sounds like it's fine. Only a concern if the ammonia levels actually increase.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
Wnrwade
Replies
Views
Drafe
Replies
Views