Cycled tank, no fish?!

Coelha

Hello,
I am new to saltwater tank. My 30 gallon tank has cycled. Last time I checked ammonia nitrates and nitrites was a week ago. I haven’t added any fish yet because I can’t seem to find the fish I want. Will the bacteria in the tank die off if there’s no fish or if I don’t add any other source of ammonia. I should be getting fish soon. Thanks!

tapwater

Coelha said:
Hello,
I am new to saltwater tank. My 30 gallon tank has cycled. Last time I checked ammonia nitrates and nitrites was a week ago. I haven’t added any fish yet because I can’t seem to find the fish I want. Will the bacteria in the tank die off if there’s no fish or if I don’t add any other source of ammonia. I should be getting fish soon. Thanks!
You should definitely add another source of ammonia, such as fish food. I'm not sure how long it takes for the bacteria to die off, but I'd start doing that today if possible.

Jesterrace

Coelha said:
Hello,
No, as a temporary measure you could add a small clean up crew as hermit crabs will produce a little bit of nitrates to keep the tank going for a bit. It's a cheap way to test out your tank as well. When I started with my 36 gallon bowfront I started with 5 hermit crabs and 5 snails and then added my first fish a couple of weeks later. There should be a little bit of algae for them to feed on and you can always supplement a tiny bit of food to keep them going if not.

Latest threads

Top Bottom