Cycled Tank Fin Rot

Ivy G

Reaction score
Hello this is my first betta. Finally got the tank cycled almost two weeks ago and now my fish has a bad case of fin rot. He was doing fine the entire time up until about five days ago. The only new thing that I did was add a betta buddy to the tank to speed up the cycling process. I moved him to a different tank and have been giving melafix but today it seems to have gotten much worse. I am now trying methylene blue. Is there anything more effective than what I am currently giving?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

How did you cycle the tank?

Do you mean you put another betta with yours to help cycle the tank?

Melafix is pretty useless, so I'd discontinue it.

I would be doing daily water changes of 50% to help the fin rot.

Can you take a pic of your betta? What are the water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

Tank size and complete stocking?

Ivy G

Reaction score

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about nitrates?

You don't need to use Quick Start if your tank is cycled (and even if it's not, Quick Start is said to have the wrong kind of bacteria).

His fin rot really doesn't look that bad. I'd just do the daily water changes for a few weeks to see how that works.

How often do you feed him and what do you feed him? He looks like he could use a bit more food.

Ivy G

Reaction score
I was feeding him twice a day for a while but switched to once a day because I was worried that I was over feeding. I try to feed him the hikari pellets but he doesn’t always eat them or he spits them out so I’ve been giving him flakes also since he always eats those.

So should I bring him back into his tank and stop all treatments? Do you think the moss ball
could have caused a change in the water or maybe it creates a bacteria bloom when moved? Could that be a cause of the fin rot?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I'd stop treatments, put him back in his main tank, do daily water changes, and feed him some quality food (flakes are good if he'll eat them; you can give him some frozen food too).

The moss ball should not have harmed the water quality as long as it's not dying, and it shouldn't have caused a bacterial bloom or be related to the fin rot in any way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom