Question cycled or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
cycled or not? **update**

Hi all, hope everyone is in good health!

I have a question.... is my fish tank fully cycled when ammonia reads 0ppm after 12 hours and nitrite 0ppm after 24 hours? or do they both have to read the same at the same time?
I guess that was two questions, lol

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm confused. What does the 12 hour and 24 hour timeline have to do with your numbers?

How long as your tank been set up?

You should be getting your water parameter test results all at once:

ammonia
nitrItes
nitrAtes

How rude of me..... welcome to the Forum!!!

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Lynda- I believe what the OP is saying is that when s/he tests after 12 hours there shows no ammonia, but still shows nitrite. When testing after 24 hours both ammonia and nitrite show zero.

sugarys- Personally, If the tank in question is a new, empty tank, I would recommend waiting until both nitrite and ammonia test 0 in less than 24 hours before adding fish, just to be sure your cycle is strong enough. If the tank in question is the stocked one in your profile, I would continue with daily partial water changes until both parameters can maintain 0 ammonia and nitrite no matter when you test.

OP
S

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi lyndaB,
my tank is 180 litres and has been cycling for 28 days now.
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 160ppm

i have been testing the water daily and adding about 4-5ml of ammonia daily and both readings are 0ppm after 24 hours.
the reason for the confusing question is because i have read and been told that tanks are fully cycled when both ammonia and nitrite reach 0ppm after 12 hours AND/OR 24 hours

Last edited:
OP
S

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi prince, no its not the tank in my profile, its a brand new one which im cycling for my sister while shes on honeymoon!
the nitrite actually reaches zero in about 15-16 hours or so.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi lyndaB,
my tank is 180 litres and ahs been cycling for 28 days now.
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 160ppm

i have been testing the water daily and adding about 4-5ml of ammonia daily and both readings are 0ppm after 24 hours.
the reason for the confusing question is because i have read and been told that tanks are fully cycled when both ammonia and nitrite reach 0ppm after 12 hours AND/OR 24hours
Due to your very high nitrate levels I would do a couple of large water changes to bring that level down. If your tank has fish in it, that level of nitrates is toxic. With fish it is best to keep the nitrate levels at 20ppm or below. Some will recommend 40ppm, but that would be the absolute max and would call for a 50% water change before being allowed to get that high. If there is no fish in the tank and you have been doing a fishless cycle I would still do a few water changes. High levels of nitrate can actually stall your cycle a bit if they get too out of control. My guess is if you can get the nitrate levels down your cycle would proceed rather quickly. Test your tap water and make sure that it does not contain nitrate. Sometimes that can give you false hope when cycling as you are looking for nitrates to develop, but they may already be there. If it does contain high levels of nitrate, you can try using Amquel Plus as a water conditioner. It can help with nitrate removal as can heavy planting.

EDIT: If your tank can process 4-5ppm of ammonia in 12-16 hours I would say that you are fully cycled! Congrats! Still do the water changes to drop the nitrate level to about 5-10 before adding any fish.

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi lyndaB,
my tank is 180 litres and ahs been cycling for 28 days now.
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 160ppm

the reason for the confusing question is because i have read and been told that tanks are fully cycled when both ammonia and nitrite reach 0ppm after 12 hours AND/OR 24hours
you are close! give it another couple days and I think you will be done....dont do a water change just yet ....once you get the ammonia/nitrites to go away in 12 hours after adding your ammonia, then you will be cycled congrats on a fishless cycle!

OP
S

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Prince. I have not done any water changes whilst cycling the tank, its a fishless cycle with a few fake plants. the nitrate levels have only risen in the last few days.

Thanks shawnie, i think your right, i wont do a water change just yet, maybe keep testing for a few more days.

Last edited:

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not good with the conversions so I will ask. If you add the dosage of ammonia that you say you are adding what does the ammonia level go to. I think that is important. When I was cycling my tank I could raise my ammonia to 2 ppm and within 12 hours it would process to zero ammonia and zero nitrites. If you are only raising your ammonia to .25 ppm or .50 ppm and it is still not done in under 12 hours I think you have some more time to wait.
I would add enough ammonia to get it to 2 ppm and see how long it takes to get zero ammonia and nitrites.

OP
S

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi flyin-lowe.
When adding ammonia, it rises to about 3-4ppm and then falls to zero in 12 hours, but nitrite rises to about 4ppm then falls to zero in 15-16 hours.

I have never cycled a tank before, the one i have is sooo old, it was my boyfriends before i took over!

so its been 4 weeks with the new one and its been quite easy, i didnt do much, just filled with conditioned water and fake plants,turned the heat up and added ammonia. its exciting now its near the end of it cycle...almost!
Think il tell my sister it was hard work! ;D

Last edited:

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would give it a few more days and see if the nitrites drop any faster. If they do then do a couple big water changes to try to get the nitrates down. Remember to keep doing the ammonia until you add some fish or the bacteria will die off.

OP
S

sugarys

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
**update**

im fully cycled! yaay
did my daily test and added 5ml of ammonia, then tested 12 hours later and ammonia at zero and nitrite at zero too!
cycled in 4 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom