Cycled? 55 Gallon Tank 55 Gallon Tank

1. Jamey1976

Jamey1976 New Member Member

Ok I understand the cycle but not sure if I am cycled. I took pics of my API MASTER TEST KIT results which actually look a lil different in the pics than what my eyes see. But from what I can tell my ammonia is 0-0.25ish my Nitrite is 0-0.25ish. And my Nitrate is about 10-20ish... I never seen my water get “cloudy” as I have heard people say it will... I do not have a canister filter yet. Just the filter that hangs on the back of the aquarium.... I did just today add a 24w UV sterilizer but that shouldn’t mess with the cycle I don’t think. I will be adding a fluval fx6 to the tank in probably 2-3 months...

So look at pics. Tell me if my readings are close and if u think I have cycled or not. Added note. Aquarium has been up since Feb 02,2018.. it’s had the some fish die in the beginning apparently had a horrible case of ick. Thanks local no name fish store!!!! Anyway I cleared that up and no fish has died since mid-late March.. and also. Lol I added 5 new fish today 3 lyre-tailed Mollies and two fire dwarf gouramies.. my other/older fish are 4 dwarf blue gouramies 1 white molly don’t remember exactly which type of molly.. then and two yellow fish and honestly can’t remember what they are. But they are small like the other ones.. IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0692.JPG

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Looks cycled to me!
    How much ammonia were you dosing to originally?

3. OP
    OP
    Jamey1976

Not sure what u mean how much ammonia was I dosing to?? I didn’t add ammonia to the tank... I set it up l it run for 3 weeks before adding my fish then did daily water changes 25%-40%.. now 3 months later I’m doing water changes 30%-40% about once a week.. but since the very beginning of setting up the tank my ammonia levels have been between 0-0.5. When testing there has always been a yellow tint in the test tube. Never a green tint...

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Were the tank readings 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates before you added the last group of fish? Those numbers would be saying yes, this tank is cycled. If that is the case the small amount of ammonia and nitrites right now are caused by adding the extra bio-load to an established tank and should go back to 0,0 and more than 0. this is probably just a tiny cycle (can't even call it a mini cycle) and you should soon be back to where you were before the additions. the bacteria just needs to catch up with the extra ammonia being produced.

5. OP
    OP
    Jamey1976

To be honest I can never tell if the ammonia is zero or .25 the colors with the API are tooooo close and my eyes are tooooo old to see the tint difference in the two... but but nitrites were 0 or very close. And nitrates stay about 10-20 each week I test

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

You said you have a HOB filter on this tank. Do you have just one? It is possible that just one won't be able to hold enough media to keep this tank cycled 'specially since you have added more fish. The more fish the more bacteria needed to process the extra waste from the fish.

For an example. I run 2 HOB's plus 2 dual sponge filters for my 55 gallon. One HOB holds 2 filter cartridges (I have actually replaced the cartridges with different media) and the other holds one larger cartridge (don't use cartridges in it anymore either). There is better media that can be used in these HOB filters. The more media one has the more surface for the bacteria to grow on. The more bacteria the healthier the tank.

Bacteria grows on all the surfaces in the tank but the majority of it lives on your filter media. If you don't have enough media there isn't enough room for enough bacteria to keep the tank healthy.

7. OP
    OP
    Jamey1976

Ok we have switched around some bills and other things and we are putting a canister filter at the top of the list... I said earlier that it would be 2-3 months. Now it’ll be about 2 weeks... gotta wait for payday.. living on a budget... 10 years ago I had a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter & UV sterilizer. I never lost a fish.. I checked the ammonia again today. It was .50 did a water change.. I agree with u. I don’t think the tank is keeping the cycle