Experience
Just started
ok probly a dumb q but how long does it take a 1 gal to cycle

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its not possible to hold a cycle in a 1gal. Unfortunatly that small of a tank dosent allow for it. The larger the tank the easier it is to cycle.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so when would it be safe to put a betta in it???

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It be a lot better for the betta if you could get a 2.5 gallon or bigger.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would love to get him a 5 so I guess ill just wait to get him

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ya, bigger is better for sure! But as far as putting a betta in a 1-5 gal set up, you can put them in right away (after the dechlorinator), you will want a heater and make sure the temp is right also. With tanks that are too small to cycle you just have to do 100% water changes; every two days for a gallon, 4-5 days for 2-3 gal, and every week for a 5 gal. You can use your ammonia testers to know exactly when to do water changes.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I respectfully disagree with Kupcake...(sorry Kupcake, please do not be offended), but anything less than 2.5 gallons (preferably 5 gallons) is too small for a Betta. First off it is very hard to heat and keep a stable temperatue in a one gallon bowl. Also, it is hard to find a filter, and as Kupcake says, it is very difficult to cycle.

100% water changes every couple of days would be very stressful. And netting a betta out every couple of days to do a 100% water change would probably result in a lot of fin damage.

Lastly, there are no stupid questions. It's only stupid to not ask if you don't know.

Good luck!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think ANY tank is impossible to cycle..and all tanks should be cycled before any fish go in there....bettas and otherwise ...its most humane and easier on everyone, human and fish, to cycle first....but having a filter(for the media) is going to be easiest as it will hold the bacteria colony much better....as far as how long, depends on if you cycle with fish or without,,,without fish shouldnt take but a couple of weeks (raw shrimp or pure ammonia method) but with fish, you must do daily water changes to keep them safe, and that will take much longer....I wouldnt house a betta in anything less than 2.5 gallon as they just need more than a gallon to be able to swim as majestically as they do....good luck and great job cycling fishless!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
izzyfishfarmer said:
ok probly a dumb q but how long does it take a 1 gal to cycle
Not a dumb question.
izzyfishfarmer said:
so when would it be safe to put a betta in it???
Never.

jdhef said:
I respectfully disagree with Kupcake...(sorry Kupcake, please do not be offended), but anything less than 2.5 gallons (preferably 5 gallons) is too small for a Betta. First off it is very hard to heat and keep a stable temperatue in a one gallon bowl. Also, it is hard to find a filter, and as Kupcake says, it is very difficult to cycle.

100% water changes every couple of days would be very stressful. And netting a betta out every couple of days to do a 100% water change would probably result in a lot of fin damage.
yes, I totally agree.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jdhef said:

Lastly, there are no stupid questions. It's only stupid to not ask if you don't know.

Good luck!
I am not offended I actually agree with you. I think I was misunderstood in my previous post.

You defianatly need atleast 2.5gal (preferably MUCH more) for each betta you have. BUT, people are going to get those little tanks and such from petstores or use smaller hospital tanks (I do use a smaller hospital tank at 2.5 gal). IF you have a smaller tank (got it before and can't afford to upgrade, waiting on upgrade, or use it as hospital tank...what ever the reason), then it should be getting 100% water changes on a regular schedual based on how fast ammonia accumulates. I think that a build up of toxic ammonia is more fatal than netting every couple of days. Especially if you do it carefully and as non-stressful as you can.

I believe we are both on the same side here, I just didnt explain myself better the first time around. Betta's need room!

As far as cycling anything less than 5 gal...is it possible? I don't think so. I have never tried, but everything I have read says no. I do not keep anything in less than a 10 gal for more than a couple weeks, so I would never need to find out. If anyone has cycled a 1 gal tank then I am wrong. <5gal is not my specialty.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok well it is possible to cycle less than 5 gallon because I have a 2.5 gallon and it's fine. it was a betta tank, but now that he moved, I made it a shrimp tank. while smaller tanks are more touchy and less forgiving than bigger tanks, it's totally possible.

I don't have a 1 gallon though, so I don't know about that. it's probably possible to cycle it, but it would be even harder to keep it stable.

I don't think 100% changes are good, unless the fish is in a small bowl that's not cycled. if a tank is cycled and you do a large water change, the ph can fluctuate too much and be a shock to the fish.

I did have a betta in a bowl while the tank was cycling....and I did about 90% changes. I left him in, took out most of the water, used a turkey baster to suck out the debris, tthen added fresh water. I still think that is stressful to the fish though. but less so than netting him. and you have to do it everyday, or every other day to prevent ammonia poisoning. nothing good can come out of living in an uncycled environment. as many people find out.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads