Cycle

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
Yes, but you will have to wait and I wouldn't use it as a main cycle I would still cycle the tank
How do I cycle with it

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some people have success with cycle starter. Personally, I think I could take your money, invest it, split the earnings with you, and we'd both come out ahead. I see lots of of people pull their hair out using cycle starters. I advocate 25% water changes every other day and letting nature take its course.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SBarrett312 said:
Can I use api quick starter to cycle a tank?
Hello SB...

Bacteria boosters are risky. They'll cycle a tank in a few days or several months. What you can end with is a tank full of unstable water. If you're serious about setting up and keeping a tank, then take your time. Add some hardy fish like Guppies, Rasboras, Platys or Danios, 3 to 4 for every 10 gallons of water and feed them a little every couple of days and have your water testing kit handy and test every day or two for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace 25 percent of the water. Just test and change the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The tank will be established in about a month. Then, change out half the water every week to maintain good water conditions.

Pretty simple,

Old

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oldsalt777 said:
Hello SB...

Bacteria boosters are risky. They'll cycle a tank in a few days or several months. What you can end with is a tank full of unstable water. If you're serious about setting up and keeping a tank, then take your time. Add some hardy fish like Guppies, Rasboras, Platys or Danios, 3 to 4 for every 10 gallons of water and feed them a little every couple of days and have your water testing kit handy and test every day or two for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace 25 percent of the water. Just test and change the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The tank will be established in about a month. Then, change out half the water every week to maintain good water conditions.

Pretty simple,

Old
I suggest you do the same thing but use TetraSafeStart + at the beginning.

Get an API master test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

And google the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. It will probably take you to fishlore anyways but you should know the concept.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom