55 Gallon Tank Cycle

Reel lady fishing

Ok, I am getting a 55 catfish tank with some rainbow fish or giant danios. I want to know how to quickly cycle. My colleague told me that I could let the tank sit with water, filter, and heater with stress and zyme coats in for 3-8 day, drop a few tiny fish in there and wait a day or 2. Then nts free. Is that how it works? If not, then how do you quickly cycle a catfish tank?

Anders247

Nope. That's not going to work.......
Use giant danios for the cycle, and use TSS.

Reel lady fishing

Anders247 said:
Nope. That's not going to work.......
Use giant danios for the cycle, and use TSS.
What is TSS. And how long?

Anders247

Tetra Safe Start. How long does it take to work? 2-4 weeks. Sometimes longer.....

FishInferno

Reel lady fishing said:
Tetra Safe Start. It is basically bacteria in a bottle and should provide an instant cycle

Gekco

Reel lady fishing said:
TSS is Tetra Safe Start but a bottle and dump the whole thing in and it will put BB in your tank instead of trying to make your own.

Reel lady fishing

Anders247 said:
Tetra Safe Start. How long does it take to work? 2-4 weeks. Sometimes longer.....
So, I pour safe start and do what next? Wait 2 days and add danios and then a week from that remove danios and get real fish?

LiterallyHydro

I would add the safe start, and add the fish in a few hours. After the tank is finished cycling, either keep those fish if they were your part of your stocking list, or rehome then and stock with the fish that are on the list.

Gekco

Reel lady fishing said:
So, I pour safe start and do what next? Wait 2 days and add danios and then a week from that remove danios and get real fish?
Pour the TSS in your tank and about 2 hours later add the fish. However you MUST wait 24-48 hours to add TSS IF you put in any water conditioner it can stall TSS. And once you add TSS DON'T put any conditioner in the water for 1 week.

Anders247

Yep, what LiterallyHydro said. Don't wait two days, you can add them at the same time.

Reel lady fishing

Anders247 said:
So, Anders my man I will get my tank set up and running with water, and then add water conditioner. I'll wait for three days then add TSS. Wait 2 hours and add 6-8 giant danios. Then, I will wait for 3-4 hours and then get my 2 Raphael's, 3 banjos and brown hoplo.

Reel lady fishing

Gekco said:
Pour the TSS in your tank and about 2 hours later add the fish. However you MUST wait 24-48 hours to add TSS IF you put in any water conditioner it can stall TSS. And once you add TSS DON'T put any conditioner in the water for 1 week.
So, Gekco my man I will get my tank set up and running with water, and then add water conditioner. I'll wait for three days then add TSS. Wait 2 hours and add 6-8 giant danios. Then, I will wait for 3-4 hours and then get my 2 Raphael's, 3 banjos and brown hoplo.

Anders247

I'm not sure if the catfish are hardy enough to withstand the cycle......

Reel lady fishing

Anders247 said:
I'm not sure if the catfish are hardy enough to withstand the cycle......
Then what should I do for them. Before all I had to do for them is add conditioner

Bijou88

Reel lady fishing said:
So, Gekco my man I will get my tank set up and running with water, and then add water conditioner. I'll wait for three days then add TSS. Wait 2 hours and add 6-8 giant danios. Then, I will wait for 3-4 hours and then get my 2 Raphael's, 3 banjos and brown hoplo.
Do it just like this, except stop adding fish after the danios. Use them alone to cycle the tank. Once it's cycled (in 2-4 weeks) you can slowly add in the catfish. Like maybe the raphaels, then a week later if the test results are good the banjos, then a week after that if the results still look good the hoplo. That's how I would do it anyway.

Joshua Drake

Add the catfish a few weeks after the danio, and not all at once as you'll need to give your bacteria time to develop. Only add 2 to 3 fish at a time

Reel lady fishing

Joshua Drake said:
Add the catfish a few weeks after the danio, and not all at once as you'll need to give your bacteria time to develop. Only add 2 to 3 fish at a time
I think I'm gonna get the 6-8 danios, wait 3-4 days get a hoplo, wait 1-2 days and get Raphael's, and then wait 1-2 days and get 3 banjos.

Coradee

Reel lady fishing said:
I think I'm gonna get the 6-8 danios, wait 3-4 days get a hoplo, wait 1-2 days and get Raphael's, and then wait 1-2 days and get 3 banjos.
No, add the Tss & then the danios, wait 14 days until you're cycled then add the catfish in each group slowly over a few weeks monitoring your water closely.
If you rush the stocking the bacteria won't be able to keep up & you'll likely have problems & possibly dead fish.

Rogue

Make sure you add the danios within 2 hours of adding the TSS.

LiterallyHydro

Yeah, you want to make sure there is a source of ammonia for the bacteria. Also, don't rush the stocking like that, the fish are likely to die because the bio-load would be going up faster than the BB can colonize.

Rogue

What he^^ said.

Joshua Drake

It takes 24 to 48 hours in a cycled tank for bb to catch up when adding fish. Catfish in general are fairly sensitive and shouldn't be added till you are a bit more stable.

Bijou88

Cycling takes time, if you get inpatient and add your catfish in within a few days of starting the cycle, some of them will likely die. You have to give the bb a chance to catch up to the new bioload slowly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom