Cycle your tank in only 24 hours!

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got the new Doctors Foster and Smith catalog. Front page: "How to cycle your aquarium in 24 hours". Dr Tim's One and Only claims once the water has been dechlorinated, the temp is stable and the filter is working, you can add one "medium-sized" fish per gal! WOW is this a miracle or a disaster? I won't even get into defining "medium-sized" fish, that's a whole new thread.

50-60 percent of threads are why did my fish die, new tank syndrome, perameters are too high, and the same old story: "I cycled my tank for a full 2-3 days what's wrong". We try to stress that cycling takes 4-6 weeks (and sometimes longer), so is this going to solve all our problems?

I'd love to hear some input, what you think, if anyone has tried this product, and does it really work.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Link possible?

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

ray_sj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I saw the same thing in my catalog. I had ordered Dr. Tim's from DFS to speed up my fishless cycle for my quarantine tank. I followed all the directions, and added the amount of ammonia that Dr. Tim's specifies on his own website! At least in my case, it did absolutely nothing other than relieve me of $50. My cycle still took a month to complete.

Here were some other threads about it:

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
personally i dont buy it. the only way it MIGHT be credible is if they only do overnight shipping and it's cold when you get it.

ray_sj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had it express shipped from DFS, and it arrived wrapped in foam and in a styrofoam box. It was cold when I got it. Still didn't work.

After trying both Dr. Tim's, and two bottles of SafeStart, I can only recommend fishless cycling to others. Takes time and patience, but at least I can be certain it works.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ray_sj said:
I had it express shipped from DFS, and it arrived wrapped in foam and in a styrofoam box. It was cold when I got it. Still didn't work.

After trying both Dr. Tim's, and two bottles of SafeStart, I can only recommend fishless cycling to others. Takes time and patience, but at least I can be certain it works.
My tank cycled in 24hrs and it was a 125g tank. I would suggest one of the quickest ways to cycle a tank is to use as much used established filter media that contains plenty of Beneficial bacteria.More the better IMO. I added 4 sponges that were packed loaded full of BB to the new canister filter, along with four sacks of gravel from an established tank also loaded with BB that I laid out in the tank along with a few decorations also from an established tank.
If anyone can find used filter media from an existing tank they may have or from a friends, IMO its the way to go for a quick fish less cycle.
I have not had any experience with Dr Tims but have read about it before and have never used Tetra Safe Start either, but hear that works.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I tried Dr Tim's, and it didn't work for me. But I have had success with BioSpira and Tetra SafeStart.

fishheadNJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Biospira worked like a charm for me. Dr. Tim is the guy who came up with Biospira for Marineland. I've heard good things about his new product but haven't had cause to use it.

Biospira was a lifesaver for my rasboras when I had to get my dwarf puffer out of that tank before he ripped them all to shreds. Badabing, badaboom, new tank was cycled, puffer was happy, rasboras were happy, and I was happy. Trick with Biospira was it had to be refrigerated - constantly, including during shipment - or the bacteria inside would die.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dr tims is more like cycle and stress zyme...its not as concentrated and sustainable as bio spira was....safestart has taken the place of bio spira..although bio spria is still available for Saltwater setups without refrigeration needed...not sure why the Saltwater version doesnt need to be kept cold but the Freshwater did

cg49me

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've also used SafeStart with generally good results. Worked great in my 29gal, but I had to give it a couple shots in my 10gal.

CWO4GUNNER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Of course your correct but that's cheating LOL. Well what I mean is for most who don't have those resources like me I did it with .5 fish per gallon but I attribute most of my success to the NH3 Toxicity tables, medium-low PH and medium-low temp make an awesome combination. Ill be taking my new/used 120 through cycle and have decided to use my molly's from my established 60. But like you I will cheat and use 1/2 my old filter media, 1 gallon of established sand, and 30 gallons of water change from my 60 LOL.
Admiral Aquarius will be stomping some serious Darth hordes through the Black Cycle Sea on this shakdown cruise LOL.

capekate said:
My tank cycled in 24hrs and it was a 125g tank. I would suggest one of the quickest ways to cycle a tank is to use as much used established filter media that contains plenty of Beneficial bacteria.More the better IMO. I added 4 sponges that were packed loaded full of BB to the new canister filter, along with four sacks of gravel from an established tank also loaded with BB that I laid out in the tank along with a few decorations also from an established tank.
If anyone can find used filter media from an existing tank they may have or from a friends, IMO its the way to go for a quick fish less cycle.
I have not had any experience with Dr Tims but have read about it before and have never used Tetra Safe Start either, but hear that works.

CoryMac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
capekate said:
that's exact way I cycled my tank 40 gal tank, it cycled in 3days,if you got the resources why not tank advantage.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CWO4GUNNER said:
Of course your correct but that's cheating LOL. Well what I mean is for most who don't have those resources like me I did it with .5 fish per gallon but I attribute most of my success to the NH3 Toxicity tables, medium-low PH and medium-low temp make an awesome combination. Ill be taking my new/used 120 through cycle and have decided to use my molly's from my established 60. But like you I will cheat and use 1/2 my old filter media, 1 gallon of established sand, and 30 gallons of water change from my 60 LOL.
Admiral Aquarius will be stomping some serious Darth hordes through the Black Cycle Sea on this shakdown cruise LOL.
I dont understand how using established filter media is considered cheating and using live fish to cycle a tank is not? And why would speeding up a cycle be considered cheating? Personally I think that using established filter media is much better than using fish to cycle a tank which only leaves your fish having to deal with any toxicity that a tank going through a cycle will produce.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Who said cheaters never win? :jawdrop:

CoryMac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
capekate said:
I dont understand how using established filter media is considered cheating and using live fish to cycle a tank is not? And why would speeding up a cycle be considered cheating? Personally I think that using established filter media is much better than using fish to cycle a tank which only leaves your fish having to deal with any toxicity that a tank going through a cycle will produce.
im with you on this one"capekate".

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cycled media all the way... that failing tetra safestart... and if I can't get that... mature gravel and media.

dancerhas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
We've never used any of those "instant cycle" products...we did add a one shot of "Cycle" to Stewie's tank when we first got it, but didn't add any more once we found the truth about the stuff.

We've cycled 5 tanks with established media, worked perfectly and instantly in all of them. I would never cycle a tank any other way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom