Cycle Won’t Start!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably have a cycle going, it's just too small to read. 2 Danios in a 36 is a very tiny amount of waste. You should notice a biobloom (cloudy water and maybe white fuzz on everything) if you add more fish. Be sure to do this very slowly, and add bottled bacteria if you wish.

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
setherson said:
any help would be appreciated. I have a 36 gallon tank, no live plants, with 2 zebra danios in. Its been about 5 weeks, and i still get a reading of zero for amonia, nitrites and nitrates. Any ideas of what i might be doing wrong? Does it normally take this long for the ammonia to start building up?
Yep since your doing a Fish-IN cycle you have to have a sizeable amount of hardy fish like Guppies or danios which you choose, you also want to slowly increase the amount of fish and continue dosing with bottle bacteria. Your filter right now probably has BB (Beneficial bacteria) but it is only designed to cope with two danios worth of waste production, so if you were to suddenly add heaps of fish your filter media which has only had enough waste to support a colony of BB based on two danios worth of waste. <---- Just saying in case if that is helpful . I would like to ensure you are also doing water changes whilst you cycle and I'll probably add another four more danios with 30% water changes each day, dosing with bacteria after each water change. Also remember ALWAYS to wash your filter media in the old tank water (from your water changes) cause running it under a tap which has chlorine will kill off any beneficial bacteria living on that filter. Also make sure your not using test strips they are highly inaccurate according to most people.

Goodluck, Keep us updated

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How are you testing the water parameters?

I might also go ahead and fill in the school of danios and cycle with the whole school, assuming that you're going to be keeping them all afterwards.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mainly to control nitrate levels.
In clean water aquariums, weekly water changes are advised to keep trace mineral levels up as well.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
While cycling, water changes are done to protect the fish from harmful levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. In fishless cycling, it's done only when ammonia or nitrites are too high (too high can stall the cycle).

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need to start realizing that you guys aren't me. Depending on how many and what type of fish you cycle with, they can ramp Ammo levels faster than the BB can reproduce. Monitoring is your friend.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom