Cycle with live rock How Do I

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by morganrules, Dec 28, 2008.

1. morganrules

morganrulesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Do i just put the live rock in the tank and let it be or is their a special way

2. travie

travieValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Did you buy it fully cured or dry?

If dry, you will need to cycle it with ammonia. If you cured, you can just let it sit in the tank till you get zero ammonia and nitrite readings.

3. OP
    OP
    morganrules

Ratings:
    +1
    i bought it cured i think.

4. cerianthus

cerianthusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If bought the rocks taken out of S/W, smell it. Do you smell any foul odor or white fungus on the rock?
    Whether it is cured or not, add to well aged S/W w/ good circulation. Check NH 3 and NO2 every 3 days for one to two weeks. If NH3, NO2 never registerd and no odor and no white fungus on the rocks, should add fish with constant testing of NH3, NO2.

5. OP
    OP
    morganrules

Ratings:
    +1
    ok so ammonia and nitrite right cuz i dont remember the chemical symbols so no symbols allowed lol

6. cerianthus

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Always something new to learn and/or remember if you keep your mind open, Buddy!! Just monitor NH3, NO2, but don't wait too long to add livestocks. Do wait on critter until tank is somewhat matured. 29G is not that big but could add good amount of fishes provided you devote some of your time to tank. I am sure you will. As first batch, could try 3-4 green chromis.

7. OP
    OP
    morganrules

Ratings:
    +1
    i was gonna do clownies. but i want to end up doing reef

8. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    3-4 chromis in a 29g would be really over stocked and as chromis are schooling fish and enjoy a large swim area not really a good choice for a nano

9. soldieroffortune1974

soldieroffortune1974Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There is always something new to learn,but not everyone like turning their hobby into a science project.

3 or 4 chromis isn't a good idea for that small of an aquarium. Nor would I suggest adding anything until the LR is cycled or cured.

10. OP
    OP
    morganrules

Ratings:
    +1
    im not gonna add anything till it is cycled plus im doing 2 clowns and a hectors goby

11. cerianthus

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Isn't that what I said? Add fish when ready.
    I have not even begun to talk science yet nor will I in future (Redox Potential, Cell and Micro Bio, etc). It does not need to be if one inputs common senses into the hobby. But it will never hurt to know more. More info avail (be it from reading or experiences), will lead to making more sound judgements in fish keeping.
    As far as 3-4 chromis goes, it is not a problem for 29 G. I've been posting that there no rule but only guideline to what should and how many fish in tank. Wether fish does well or not in captivity depends on how well one takes care of it. Like I said apply some common sense into hobby and have a patience. Never buy on impulse (very difficult task, especially for beginner). But as we have learned from our experiences, I am sure others will too!!!

12. OP
    OP
    morganrules

Ratings:
    +1
    ok cerianthus you could talk science because i love it i will actually know what your talking about. i just dont like to remember all these chemical names. I got to add more live rock to my tank today amd add more sand to get the sand bed i want