Cycle Update

1. J

Justin I New Member Member

Hello everyone,
    I posted about six weeks ago, when I was cycling my QT and a betta tank. Since then, both thanks have fully cycled and are now occupied (the betta tank has, um, a betta in it, and my QT tank contains my neighbor's betta - we had to remove it from its original tank due to very unhealthy conditions).

My question now concerns the betta tank. The fish appears healthy and happy, but the chemistry is weird. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 chlorine, but also 0 nitrate. Is this normal? Is there any action I should take to keep the tank in good shape? Is 0 nitrate bad?

Thanks for any and all help. :)
    -J

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

You WANT your tank to have 0 everything. it is OKAY to have 5-20 ppm nirtrate at the end of the cycle, but 0 nitrate is fine. Though, it the tanks STAYS at 0 nitrate, I would think it's not completely cycled.

0 ammonia means the bacteria is established enough to oxidize the ammonia.
    0 ammonia and 0 nitrite means the bacteria is established enough to oxidize both.
    0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate is a little funny, because nitrate is the end product of the cycle and you should always have SOME nitrate. BUT, it could be that 1 betta isn't producing a ton of bioload so nitrate is minimal and the BB is established enough to keep everything else in check.

If, in the next week or 3 days or so you still have 0 nitrate, then maybe add some more BB. But otherwise I think you're fine.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Justin I New Member Member

Thank you, fishgirl38! So this was from a while ago, and I'm still reading 0-0-0, but my little betta (I gave him a nice hippie name, Starburst Sunshine) seems happy. I have left the filter in place, and not done any water changes.

I appreciate your feedback. Cheers!
    -J