Cycle Tank With Just Established Substrate?

TombedOrchestra

I have a 55 cycled tank with 2 charcoal pad filters.

I'm starting up a 10 gallon. I just bought a sponge filter, and was planning on putting it in my main tank for a week or two to get the BB on it before putting it in my 10 gal for cycling purposes.

However, I know BB is also located in the substrate. Would transferring a good portion of substrate to the new tank be enough BB to have it cycled? I can't transfer filter media since I'm not using the HOB filter on the 10 gal.

Goldiemom

Substrate will help get it started but won’t Be enough to instantly start it. Can you stuff the media in/around the sponge filter?

TombedOrchestra

Substrate will help get it started but won’t Be enough to instantly start it. Can you stuff the media in/around the sponge filter?

Good idea. Now, I've never transferred media before from a filter. ... How exactly is this done?

I have a large pad with 4 'sections' which contain the carbon. Where do I cut? How much? Won't it make the carbon leak out?

Thanks!

Dch48

The only time the substrate contains any appreciable amount of beneficial bacteria is when you use an undergravel filter. It always is much more prevalent in the filtering media, whatever it is.

EbiAqua

Just start out the sponge filter in the 55. Keep it there for about a month, then transfer it to the new tank.

Goldiemom

You can just take a pair of scissors and cut off the floss. Then stick it in the sponge filter. Don’t use the carbon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rok55
  • Question
Replies
Views
jaycopper
Replies
Views
Fizzfrog
Replies