Cycle Stuck?

oliviaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reaction score
hi guys. im starting to get concerned that my cycle never started. yesterday i tested 0 and 0 for ammonia nitrite ( didnt test nitrate) and today i tested .25 ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate is like the slightest slightest bit orange, but mostly yellow so im not sure. i think ill just put prime in and see if the bacteria will deal with the ammonia by tomorrow. still havent done a water change and he even pooped a lot the other day and the next day it was still 0 :/

edit- its been 10 minutes or so since i tested for nitrates and its getting more orange is that just because its been sitting out?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi guys. im starting to get concerned that my cycle never started. yesterday i tested 0 and 0 for ammonia nitrite ( didnt test nitrate) and today i tested .25 ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate is like the slightest slightest bit orange, but mostly yellow so im not sure. i think ill just put prime in and see if the bacteria will deal with the ammonia by tomorrow. still havent done a water change and he even pooped a lot the other day and the next day it was still 0 :/

edit- its been 10 minutes or so since i tested for nitrates and its getting more orange is that just because its been sitting out?
Yeah, at 5 minutes is your reading, but it will get darker until it just can't get any darker.

oliviaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reaction score
well, API says their test is +- .25 ammonia, nothing to worry about. if your tank isn't cycled, it would have higher ammonia levels after a week of no water changes.
thank you for giving me a peace of mind!! i just have felt so bad for not knowing about the nitrogen cycle before getting my boy but lesson LEARNED. thank you for all of your help!

oliviaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reaction score
So today I got the same reading 0.25, 0, and probably around like 1ppm nitrate, if even. should i dose prime and wait until i can see nitrates or should i do a 15-20% water change since its been a week?

edit: my peace lily is also growing new roots could that possibly mean it really is eating the nitrates and doing good because of it?

oliviaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reaction score
hello everyone! its been a couple weeks since i started weekly water changes and to this day ive not got a nitrate reading, its been 5 days since my last water change but i will say i did get the darkest orange-yellow on nitrate that ive ever gotten so i do think there is something there, but just not detectable enough to read 5 ppm, but ammonia and nitrite consistently at 0. also my peace lilies that have been in there the longest are thriving! ( kept adding some throughout the weeks) growing so many new roots and sprouting new leaves so i really do think thats where the nitrates are going. also got a second opinion and my brother said it looks to be between at 2.5 ppm so hopefully by water change day ill get a reading on that and be100000000% positive its cycled! i also stopped dosing prime every little while because i was just worried something would spike since i havent gotten nitrate readings but nothing has spiked thankfully. ill update if i ever get a good nitrate reading fingers crossed
once again thank you guys so much for your help! its been a long and stressful journey, i will definitely never take on fish-in cycling again. lol

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think you could maybe add a few fish at anytime. Just go slow and watch your readings.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom