Cycle Stuck Or Mini Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SomethingsFishy1014, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

I've had one of my filters since the end of January and the other since the beginning of march when I bought my 20 gallon.

Everything was fine for awhile, getting ammonia and nitrite readings at 0 after initially cycling.

About a week and a half ago I medicated for ich with super ich cure plus. And lost one fish.

The next day I changed out the gravel, overdosed with prime (I guess I depleted the oxygen) and lost my whole tank minus one Cory and one molly.

Ever since then I've had high ammonia. I can get it down to about .50-1ppm with partial water changes decorinating with prime. But I'll test the next day and it's back up to around 1 or sometimes 2. I've put in two bottles of safe start plus over the course of two days. I don't know what else to do...

The ammonia doesn't seem to be affecting the fish much.

20 gallon tank
    2 baby blood parrots
    2 mollies
    1 juvenile BN
    1 Cory cat

PH 6.4
    Nitrates 20
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia 1

2. KiksWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like the medication has ruined your cycle. Some medications do that. My advise is to do water changes as often as needed to keep ammonia at 0.50 ppm or less. Same goes for nitrites and nitrates should be between 1 - 20 ppm.
    It might not look like the 1 ppm ammonia has an effect on your fish right now, but if you keep it at 1 ppm it will.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would recommend treating with Prime which detoxifies up to 1ppm ammonia and doing regular water changes to keep ammonia as low as possible.

4. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

Will it eventually cycle on its own?

5. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

Update: this morning tests were
    Ammonia .50
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate .10

So it looks like things are moving along. I didn't have time to do a water change before work but I dosed the tank with stability and prime hope they'll be okay until I get home

6. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

I see your PH is quite low. BB loves it over 7.0 and prefers 7.6ph.

I think your PH is keeping them from breeding properly.
    Try and raise it closer to 7 for a few days if you can.

7. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

I'm trying. It went up from 6.4 to 6.8 so it's slowing going

Need to get some crushed coral for the filter. I have an aquaclear hob and a top fin hob. Should I get rid of the old top fin hob and just let the aquaclear run?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

If it were me, I would keep the AquaClear as my main filter and remove the media from the TopFin filter and put the crushed coral in it.

9. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

That sounds like a genius idea.....will it mess up the cycle I'm trying to do though?

10. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

It's may slow it down a little since you would be removing the filter media from the TopFin, but it shouldn't set you back more than a few days. And come on, what's a few days setback if it incorporates a genius idea?

11. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

You're right. I'm having so much trouble cycling I wish it would just be over already!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

So I did a pwc, tested a few hours later and BOOM I think it cycled. ( don't want to get too excited) but
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Ph 7-7.2 (hard to tell)

13. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Those numbers would indicate a cycled tank...congrats!

14. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

Thanks is there a chance they'll go back up tomorrow? Lol

15. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

There is always a chance. Just test tomorrow and see where your at.

16. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

I was just opening my eyes when I typed that....it is tomorrow lol everything is still 0 except for nitrates!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  17. SomethingsFishy1014Valued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice