Cycle Stopped?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently got a 20 gallon tank, for the purpose of keeping a friend’s two goldfish until it was warm enough to relocate them to my pond. They didn’t handle the stress of moving very well, and both died within 48 hours. After that, I added a school of Cory catfish (I currently have six of them) in order to do a fish-in cycle. For a while, everything was going normally with my cycling. I tested the water daily and did water changes every other day. But recently I’ve noticed that there is almost no ammonia in the water at all. However, there are also no nitrites. They’ve both been reading zero or very close to zero for well over a week. I have only had the tank set up for two and a half weeks, so it definitely shouldn’t be completely cycled yet. What’s going on here? Should I add more fish to get it started again, or just let it do it’s thing?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tested the nitrates?
LilBlub said:
I recently got a 20 gallon tank, for the purpose of keeping a friend’s two goldfish until it was warm enough to relocate them to my pond. They didn’t handle the stress of moving very well, and both died within 48 hours. After that, I added a school of Cory catfish (I currently have six of them) in order to do a fish-in cycle. For a while, everything was going normally with my cycling. I tested the water daily and did water changes every other day. But recently I’ve noticed that there is almost no ammonia in the water at all. However, there are also no nitrites. They’ve both been reading zero or very close to zero for well over a week. I have only had the tank set up for two and a half weeks, so it definitely shouldn’t be completely cycled yet. What’s going on here? Should I add more fish to get it started again, or just let it do it’s thing?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, they’re also zero. The tests all come back like a tank that hasn’t even started cycling yet, which is bizarre because I got ammonia readings for the first week and a half or so.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LilBlub said:
Yes, they’re also zero. The tests all come back like a tank that hasn’t even started cycling yet, which is bizarre because I got ammonia readings for the first week and a half or so.
Do you have a hob filters with cartridges that you have changed recently?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
dont change the cartrages ! thats all the advice i have for you. but there are very knowladgable folks here to further help you along

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LilBlub said:
I do have a HOB filter, but I haven’t changed the cartridge yet.
Good, because thet are where your beneficial bacteria grow, if they get clogged, just swish them really fast in a bucket or bowl of dechlorinated water. Make sure they're not clogged with the water running over them instead of through them and simply wait for the tank to cycle. The process fishless or fish in usually takes 4 to 8 weeks as long as there is an ammonia source and you have that with the cory cats.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, I hope I’m just going through a small stall as the ammonia is all gone and the nitrites have yet to build up. You don’t think I should add more fish? I don’t want to overwhelm the tank, but I’m worried the cories aren’t putting much ammonia into the water. They’re all babies.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LilBlub said:
Thanks, I hope I’m just going through a small stall as the ammonia is all gone and the nitrites have yet to build up. You don’t think I should add more fish? I don’t want to overwhelm the tank, but I’m worried the cories aren’t putting much ammonia into the water. They’re all babies.
If you know someone wita fish pond so you can get rid of them later, you could put 2 goldfish in there. They produce ammonia like crazy. But they're not something you going t want to keep after you're cycled.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a fish pond, for koi and goldfish. I initially had two common goldfish in this tank but they died. I also have fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank, so I’m well aware of how dirty they are lol. I’m hesitant about adding feeder fish because I know they can carry disease or parasites, and I don’t want to deal with that.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know about feeders. I was thinking along the line of a couple calico comets...small.
LilBlub said:
I have a fish pond, for koi and goldfish. I initially had two common goldfish in this tank but they died. I also have fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank, so I’m well aware of how dirty they are lol. I’m hesitant about adding feeder fish because I know they can carry disease or parasites, and I don’t want to deal with that.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe I will add a few shubunkins. I’ve only got two of them in my pond at the moment, so it would be nice to have some more.

What about dwarf gouramis? That’s actually something that I was planning to have once the tank was cycled.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LilBlub said:
Maybe I will add a few shubunkins. I’ve only got two of them in my pond at the moment, so it would be nice to have some more.

What about dwarf gouramis? That’s actually something that I was planning to have once the tank was cycled.
If you want dwarf gouramis, you could go with them. Just make sure to get Prime or some kind of ammonia detoxifier. It won't hinder you cycling at all. It would help to get a large bottle so you can just add some to the tank everyday to make sure the ammonia that is produced is detoxified. Plus you would have 2 types of fish with auxiliary breathing other than just gills. Are your cories babies or pygmies?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They’re baby peppered cories. I just recently purchased them so they’re still pretty tiny. I do have two adults from a previous school, but the rest are juveniles.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool. I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 grown angelfish and a schoal of 15 pygmy cories. You wouldn't even notice them if they didn't stay together, but they do. Iget a better kick out of watching them than the angels sometimes. There cool to watch them sort of roll over each other during feeding time. The only time I see on alone is when they dart to the surface for an air bubble.
LilBlub said:
They’re baby peppered cories. I just recently purchased them so they’re still pretty tiny. I do have two adults from a previous school, but the rest are juveniles.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pygmy cories are adorable, I’ve thought about them for my 10 gallon. But I’m planning to put pea puffers in there, and pea puffers typically don’t get along with any other fish. Oh well.

Mine are still getting to know each other, so I haven’t seen a whole lot of schooling behavior. I did see them all glass-surfing once in a little herd. It was pretty cute.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, cory cats of all species are cute, and they're more likely to school when other species are added to the tank.
LilBlub said:
Pygmy cories are adorable, I’ve thought about them for my 10 gallon. But I’m planning to put pea puffers in there, and pea puffers typically don’t get along with any other fish. Oh well.

Mine are still getting to know each other, so I haven’t seen a whole lot of schooling behavior. I did see them all glass-surfing once in a little herd. It was pretty cute.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that puffers are rather territorial. They also need hard thimgs to eat like snails, small crabs and even mussels or they develope tooth problems. They could definitely find armored catfishes as a desirable snack...I don't know for sure.
LilBlub said:

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pea puffers are a little different, they don’t have beaks like most puffers do. But they have been known to be very territorial, that’s why you can only have 3 or 4 in a 10 gallon even though they’re less than an inch long. I don’t want to risk putting other fish in with them, because I don’t know how they would react. But I do have plenty of pest snails for them to nibble on, so they should like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom