55 Gallon Tank Cycle Started?

NoOne

5/2 sort of restared cycle using Dr Tim's 1 n only and ammo(also added spiderwood...day 1 ph- 7.2, ammo-2ppm, day 2 ammo- low 2 ? High 1ppm with NO2- 0ppm(always is since beginning maybe cause of API quick start at first)NO3-5ppm. Increased heat to 80. Day 3- ph7.0, ammo 1ppm, NO2 - 0ppm, NO3 - 10ppm. I believe it is starting to cycle. I think the spiderwood is reducing the ph even though I soaked it 4 days and it is slightly coloring the water. I will test again tomorrow but will not redose ammonia till it reaches 0.25ppm. Will then dose to return to 2ppm and keep watching daily.
Question - I have API PH up. Should I use it to bring my ph at least to where it comes from the tap?

Skavatar

you can keep dosing ammonia to keep it around 4ppm.

driftwood and the nitrifying bacteria will consume carbonate(KH) causing pH to drop. do you have a GH/KH test kit?

many keepers who've used a bottled bacteria product reported not seeing nitrites. the ammonia goes straight to nitrates.

NoOne

No, but I will go get one real quick. If it reads low it still leaves me wondering if I should use the ph up or do I need to get something else while at the LFS?

How else can I fix the hardness

kallililly1973

There are more natural ways to raise your ph if needed... search around here... Its better to go the natural route before you start adding chemicals...

NoOne

It will have to wait til Monday .Stores didn't have the test kit.. dang.

Finally it looks like progress. PH 7.2, ammonia 0.50, Nitrites(finally)0.25, nitrates low 20ppm or high 10ppm. Also my plants are showing some growth. I redosed with ammonia 2ppm for 50 gal. I will now check all levels daily.

All I can say is I am becoming a believer in Dr Tim's One and Only and his Ammonia chloride. I am following his instructions on his website. I finally feel like I am making progress. Yes Dr Tim!

Latest threads

Top Bottom