1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Cycle Start Over? 29 Gallon Tank

1. F

Feelmasterflex New Member Member

Hello everyone, about a month ago I made a post about my 30 gallon tank and I wanted to have something clarified for me in regards to it.

So basically I had planned get my tank up and running probably 5 months ago, I had my sand substrate in, the water, and the equipment all set up, but I unfortunately dropped my filter and it cracked deeming it unusable and I never got around to rebuying another one due to budget stuff at the time. So I’ve essentially have a filled 30 gallon tank just sitting in my house for 4-5 months (never got around to it working full time and doing working towards a degree full time). When I asked if I could possibly use the water since I was under the impression the water had to go through a cycle anyways, but I was advised to drain and start over. I’m just curious why? It makes sense in my head to just set up the filter, make sure the temperature is appropriate and test the levels to make sure it’s suitable for the little guys. Maybe my question would be answered by testing the levels, but I just wanted to ask for an explanation before I go and rested the whole cycle.

Thanks in advance -jody

2. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

If you had no filter you have no cycle. Beneficial bacteria lives in the filter, not water. All you have is stagnant water with who knows what cultivating in it. Surprised you don't have mosquitoes.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

The nitrogen cycle cannot happen without the presence of ammonia. When fish poop, ammonia is produced. The first group of bacteria eat that ammonia and turn it into nitrite. A second group of bacteria turns the nitrites into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish, but nitrates are only toxic at levels over 40ppm. Click on the blue nitrogen cycle. Feel free to ask questions. As @PhillyKev said, bacteria lives in the filter not the water.