Cycle stalled, what to do next?

Leeoc91

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to fish keeping and I bought a 28 Gallon (105L) saltwater tank.

I'm really finding it hard to complete a fishless cycle. I started off by 'ghost' feeding the tank every day with food but I think I put way too much in as it wasn't decomposing so I decided to stop that and did a full water change & tank clean.

Then I purchased household ammonia which I miscalculated and put in too much so I did an 80% water change which got the levels up to 5ppm which is what most people seemed to recommend online. It's been 2 months now and the ammonia level is the same with nitrate at 0.5ppm and nitrate 0ppm.

I bought API Quick Start and added that to the tank according to the instructions but that didn't have any effect on any of the levels.

I'm not sure what I should do next, any advice by more experienced members would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you check your household ammonia for surfactants? If you shake the bottle and the liquid inside foams up, then it has surfactants and is not a good ammonia to use for aquariums. Unfortunately I don't know a good brand to use.

For my fishless cycles, I bought a jar of pure ammonium chloride powder for ~$15 and it worked great. You are correct to dose to 4-5 ppm initially and let that come down, and once you see nitrites producing you'll want to dose up to 2-3 ppm to keep everything fed.

I'd recommend doing some big water changes, maybe even 100%, getting a new ammonia source and trying again. If you have any friends with tanks, you can get some of their filter media to jump-start the bacteria colony. The local fish store might give you some too if you ask.

OP
L

Leeoc91

Reaction score
Yes the ammonia I got was purchased carefully and other people on the reviews had used the same one to successfully cycle their tank so I'm confident that it's a good source. Do you think it's worth doing maybe 60-80% water change to bring the ammonia down to 2/3ppm?

Thanks!

New Threads