Help Cycle Restarting

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just noticed my orange platy acting a little out of sorts this morning nothing overly concerning but different. I had done a parameter test 2 weeks ago where I tested the nitrate and it came out to be 20ppm and did not check the other levels. Which was bad on my part. Today they are
IMG_8853.JPG

I am not sure how this has happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just noticed my orange platy acting a little out of sorts this morning nothing overly concerning but different. I had done a parameter test 2 weeks ago where I tested the nitrate and it came out to be 20ppm and did not check the other levels. Which was bad on my part. Today they are View attachment 581943

I am not sure how this has happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated
It might help if you filled out the fish emergency template. Members wil ask most of these questions and you can answer them ahead of time to get better advice right away!
Fish Emergency Template
In any case, I'd advise you to do an immediate 50% water change, and another 50% water change in 24 hours to get those ammonia and nitrite levels down. Check your pH level and post it on the template as well. That will be useful in determining how low you'll need to keep your ammonia level in order to protect your fish until the cause of the spike is determined, as well as how to address the ammonia/nitrite issue.

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It might help if you filled out the fish emergency template. Members wil ask most of these questions and you can answer them ahead of time to get better advice right away!
Fish Emergency Template
In any case, I'd advise you to do an immediate 50% water change, and another 50% water change in 24 hours to get those ammonia and nitrite levels down. Check your pH level and post it on the template as well. That will be useful in determining how low you'll need to keep your ammonia level in order to protect your fish until the cause of the spike is determined, as well as how to address the ammonia/nitrite issue.
A water change won’t make anything worse?

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For everyone that may ask I’ll tell you more about my tank.

Tank size: 10 gal
Have had it for almost 2 years
I have 3 platies and within the last 4 days a mystery snail
I have a fluval 30 filter
I do water changes every 2.5 weeks
I change 30-50% water
I vacuum the gravel
Also rinse out filter media once a month in tank water

I feed flake food every other day

Up until this point have I had a problem with high ammonia and high nitrite

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, and then do another 50% change as mentioned. Do you use water dechlorinator/conditioner? If you use Prime I would consider at least double dosing it to help lock up the toxic ammonia/nitrite. We should try to figure out what caused/is causing your cycle to crash too or it could spike again. For that it helps to fill out the emergency template just to eliminate things so you don't have to answer the same questions over and over.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A water change won’t make anything worse?
No. The high ammonia and nitrite levels will kill your fish. I read one of your earlier posts (waaay earlier) and you mentioned that yoy had some Seachem Prime. If you still have it, dose your entire tank volume with it, after the first 50% water change. Then in 24 hours do a big enough water change to get your combined total of ammonia+nitrites down to 1 ppm or less then redose the entire tank volume again with Prime. Prime dechlorinates your water and converts ammonia and nitrites to a form temporarily (48 hours) that won't allow it to harm your fish. NOTE: Shake the Prime really well before dosing your tank.

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fish Emergency Template
pH is at a 6.4

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, and then do another 50% change as mentioned. Do you use water dechlorinator/conditioner? If you use Prime I would consider at least double dosing it to help lock up the toxic ammonia/nitrite. We should try to figure out what caused/is causing your cycle to crash too or it could spike again. For that it helps to fill out the emergency template just to eliminate things so you don't have to answer the same questions over and over.
I filled out the info above

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No. The high ammonia and nitrite levels will kill your fish. I read one of your earlier posts (waaay earlier) and you mentioned that yoy had some Seachem Prime. If you still have it, dose your entire tank volume with it, after the first 50% water change. Then in 24 hours do a big enough water change to get your combined total of ammonia+nitrites down to 1 ppm or less then redose the entire tank volume again with Prime. Prime dechlorinates your water and converts ammonia and nitrites to a form temporarily (48 hours) that won't allow it to harm your fish. NOTE: Shake the Prime really well before dosing your tank.
I no longer have prime.
Image1566314126.523107.jpg

I use this for dechlorinator. I’ve heard that converting it is just as bad. I’m sorry I’m just always not sure with these things.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I no longer have prime. View attachment 581964

I use this for dechlorinator. I’ve heard that converting it is just as bad. I’m sorry I’m just always not sure with these things.
No, converting the ammonia to ammonium is not bad-removing it, when you are cycling the tank is bad. Nitrites, at any level are toxic to fish, binding nitrites into a harmless form can save your fish.
From what you're describing, it looks like your tank has built up ammonia and nitrites beyond what the established bacteria in your tank can handle. You need to lower and treat those levels until your bacteria can catch up.

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?- 10 gal

How long has the tank been running?- almost 2 years

Does it have a filter?-yes

Does it have a heater?-yes

What is the water temperature?- 77

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)- 3 platies 1 mystery snail

Maintenance

How often do you change the water?- every 2.5 weeks

How much of the water do you change?- 30-50%

What do you use to treat your water?- api tap water conditioner

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?- vacuum

*Parameters
- Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?-yes

What do you use to test the water?
-api liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 8ppm
Nitrite: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
pH: 6.4

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish?- every other day

How much do you feed your fish?- a sprinkle or as much as they can eat before their is left over

What brand of food do you feed your fish?-tetra

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?-no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1.5 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Staying at the bottom of tank not swimming much

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Still eats still swims a little

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, converting the ammonia to ammonium is not bad-removing it, when you are cycling the tank is bad. Nitrites, at any level are toxic to fish, binding nitrites into a harmless form can save your fish.
From what you're describing, it looks like your tank has built up ammonia and nitrites beyond what the established bacteria in your tank can handle. You need to lower and treat those levels until your bacteria can catch up.
IMG_8854.JPG

I have this stuff not sure if it would act the same way as prime?

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m going to be getting some prime today. Just reassuring what dosing I should do when I get and how long I should dose for?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m going to be getting some prime today. Just reassuring what dosing I should do when I get and how long I should dose for?
Amquel plus does essentially the same thing as Prime so you can use it. Just follow the directions on the label and no need to use your other dechlorinator. Amquel dechlorinates too. No need to get Prime. Get a GH/KH test kit instead. API makes a good one.

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amquel plus does essentially the same thing as Prime so you can use it. Just follow the directions on the label and no need to use your other dechlorinator. Amquel dechlorinates too. No need to get Prime. Get a GH/KH test kit instead. API makes a good one.
So what’s the regimen from here on out moving forward so I can get this all under control?

Emma McCarthy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What is that test for?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom