Cycle questions, ongoing

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is my first time cycling a tank and using ammonia . I received my dr Tim's ammonia on yesterday at 10am and I put 40 drops into my 10gal tank. I tested my water at 2am on 2/5 . My ammonia went from .25 to 2ppm.

Is 2ppm high enough to start the cycle ? Or should it be around 4ppm ?
If 2ppm is fine , do I keep adding ammonia every day to keep it up, or let the water be and turn into nitrites to nitrates?

How often should I roughly test the water too . Thanks

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
2ppm is fine. Id suggest dosing everyday. When I cycled my tank I only tested once or twice a week. You can test more often if you want to know exactly where you are or less often if you're not too concerned about it.

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I started cycling my 10gal tank on 2/4/20.I put a brand new filter and cartridge in and I added substrate.

I dosed 40 drops of Dr Tim's Ammonia on 2/4 , tested the same day:

2/4
Ph: 7.6
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Ammonia: 2ppm

2/5
I added 10 more drops

2/7
Ph : 7.6
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Ammonia : 1ppm

I've been testing the water every other day but today I finally got nitrites at 2ppm and my Ammonia went down to 1ppm, Nitrates shot up to 40 ppm

Is the cycle going good so far? This is my first time using ammonia is seeing nitrites .

Do I keep adding the ammonia drops still or did the cycle start and should I let the nitrites convert to nitrates .

Thanks

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your cycle will take 3-8 weeks to complete. Patience...

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your cycle seems to be progressing fast based on ammonia going down and nitrates going up. Did you seed it with seasoned cycle material?

It is surprising that your nitrates got so high so fast. Do you have nitrates in your source water.

There are lots of opinions about the optimal way to dose ammonia. I personally like the idea of moderate regular dosing. I would not let ammonia get above 2 ppm.

I am also a believer in doing water changes to keep nitrites below 5 ppm and nitrates below 40 ppm. Some have reported stalling a cycle when these amounts are exceeded. Others disagree.

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorg67 said:
Your cycle seems to be progressing fast based on ammonia going down and nitrates going up. Did you seed it with seasoned cycle material?

It is surprising that your nitrates got so high so fast. Do you have nitrates in your source water.

There are lots of opinions about the optimal way to dose ammonia. I personally like the idea of moderate regular dosing. I would not let ammonia get above 2 ppm.

I am also a believer in doing water changes to keep nitrites below 5 ppm and nitrates below 40 ppm. Some have reported stalling a cycle when these amounts are exceeded. Others disagree.
I put some substrate from my old bettas tank but used a brand new filter cartridge and yes my tap water does have 5ppm nitrates, 1ppm ammonia but no nitrites .

Do I have to keep dosing with ammonia every day to keep it up or do I let it go and cycle. What do I do from this point.
I also read from others that water changes will stop the cycle so should I even do one? I was going to wait till the tank is cycled but if needed I can do a water change. Do I need to use prime even though there's nothing in the tank ?

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was asking similar questions a few months ago. I am by no means an expert. You will find varying opinions. Read the following links

Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle 414083

Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle 251982

Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle 48446

Got to the Nitrogen cycle part of the forum and follow some threads. You will find people asking questions similar to yours and you will find a variety of answers to your questions. You will find conflicting opinions. You will have to evaluate the associate rationale and decide for yourself which opinion you want to follow.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Blueberrybetta said:
I put some substrate from my old bettas tank but used a brand new filter cartridge
Perhaps you are getting a boost from the betta tank substrate

Blueberrybetta said:
and yes my tap water does have 5ppm nitrates, 1ppm ammonia but no nitrites .
That explains some nitrates, but not 40 ppm. Either your cycle is going fast or you made a testing error. I would re-check the nitrates.

Blueberrybetta said:
Do I have to keep dosing with ammonia every day to keep it up or do I let it go and cycle.
There are lots of systems and no magic formula. I like dosing small amounts once or twice a day. Whatever amount is processed in a day and gradually increase until you are processing the amount you want for your intended initial stocking.

Blueberrybetta said:
What do I do from this point.
Be patient

Blueberrybetta said:
I also read from others that water changes will stop the cycle so should I even do one? I was going to wait till the tank is cycled but if needed I can do a water change.
Water changes will not stop the cycle. I have done 100% water changes without slowing the cycle. The bacteria is not in the water. You need to re-dose with ammonia after a water change. I let the ammonia go to zero, then do a water change and dose with ammonia.

I like to keep nitrites below 2 ppm and nitrates below 40 ppm when cycling. Not everybody agrees with this.

Blueberrybetta said:
Do I need to use prime even though there's nothing in the tank ?
You need to use prime for new water but you do not need to re-dose with prime.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I should revise my statement about water changes to add “if done with dechlorinated / temperature matched water.”

New Threads