cycle questions? and stocking questions? 10 gal tank.Hubby and I set up a new 10

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by aliray, Aug 6, 2014.

1. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

We set up a new 10 gal tank 3 plus weeks ago and did a fish in cycle. The tank is the 10 gal tetra complete led tank with heater and whisper filter that is hung on the back of the tank.... Week one I put declorinated water, one java fern, one anubias, a couple small wisteria one planted and the others floating and some water spangles floating. Week two Hubby had ordered me the Api master test kit. and before I forget I had also added a good sized chunck of mopani wood so I also have lots of tannins in the water. Anyway I tested the water and ammonia 0, nitrites 0. nitrates 0 ph 7.6. So since I had never done that before we went to the Pet Supermarket and asked them to test the water. The only people that I saw were three young ladies that were new and really didn't know about fish and they use the strips to test it and said your water is good. After a few more attempts at questions I gave up. Any way I have been reading these forums and a couple of others for a good couple of months. They had some nice healthy looking neon tetras and that was the one fish hubby really wanted so I bought 6. Brought them home and put the Tetra safe start in then floated the bag for an hour. They have been in the tank for 2 weeks today , eat like a pack of pirranhas. A few days ago I took a ride to my lfs about 30 miles away where I had bought my red crown tail betta from and bought another type of java fern and and a good size clump of java moss. which is now tied to a rock. I tested the water today , the fish and plants have been in for two weeks Ph 7.6, ammonia0, nititries 0, and nitrate 5.0. I plan to go to the fish store Fri and pick up 3 harlequin rasboras. When I add them do I use another bottle of safe start ? Would the java moss also have the good bacteria in it as it came from a very heavilly planted, fish in tank? I also down the road plan to add 3 pigmy cory cats and 3 ember tetras if I can ever find them and I do realize that it will be slightly overstocked but A bigger tank is out of the question And the betta has his own 2 gal bowl and will not be going in the community tank( He would look like a swimming lunch of floating blood worms with all those red spikey fins:)). I did not test the water during the two weeks of the fish being in there as I wasn't supposed to do a water change and I didn't want to give myself an anxiety attack. Is my tank now cycled for at least the fish that are in the tank now? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you....Alison

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi & welcome.
    In my opinion with just the Betta & the neons your tank is stocked, I wouldn't add any more fish especially with the Betta as they can suddenly decide they no longer want tank mates & turn on them.
    Harlequin rasboras, corys & ember tetras are all shoaling fish & should be kept in groups of at least 6 & you have no room in your tank to keep them in proper size groups.

Edit: Sorry just noticed you said the Betta would have his own bowl,(paragraphs would have made your post easier to read) but even so your tank is still too small to add the fish you listed, you could have one or two sparkling gourami instead

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    aliray

Thank you for reply...Alison

4. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

If you returned the betta, a lot more options are unlocked. You could heavily planted and add a colony of cherry shrimp and amano shrimp. Leave the neons alone and add no more fish. The tank would look super nice if you made it planted.

5. OP
    OP
    aliray

the tank is planted and the betta does not nor will not live in that tank, he has his own two gallon bowl with lots of plants he is a red crowned tail so all his fins look like spikey bloodworms. He wouldn't stand a chance with possible fin nippers. the only fish in the tank are the 6 neon tetras. as I said earlier I want to add 3 dwarf pigmy cory cats, and three harlequin rasborras. I am very iffy about any shrimp, though one ghost shrimp might help keep the java moss clean and there are lots of hiding places....Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice