Cycle Question

1. booboo7336 Initiate Member

In day 6 of cycling and have nitrate and nitrites at 0 and ammonia on the rise now at 1.0 with a ph of 7.2.

My question is two things,

1. How often should I change water in general - I hear once a week 10% twice a month 20% and monthly 20%?
    2. During cycle, do I change water and if so, how often and do I clean gravel and replace filter?

Thanks for the advise and I love this sight!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

(2) During cycle do not clean gravel or change filter media.
    (1) Depending on the type(read messiness) of fish and size of tank, 25-50% each week.
    How are you cycling your tank?

3. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am cycling with food every 12 hours and am now using 5 tetra's and 2 cory's. Waiting to put in 2 angels and pleco until am I cycled.

Do I do water changes now too?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

UG! NOW you tell me! :( i have been siphoning my gravel every time i do a water change and i was wondering why it was taking so long to cycle! It has been 2 months now since the tank was started up and my ammonia is at 0 but my nitrites are at like 5! still! ug... :D
    at least i knew not to change the filter media...

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

We all live and learn Emma :D
    Carol

7. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Carol, so I should do water chamges even though I am cycling? Sorry I am slow now a days lol

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Your nitrites are too high for a tank cycling with fish. You need to get those nitrites down to at least 2 for the health of your fish, so yes, you need to do water changes when necessary. If your ammonia is at 0 and your nitrites are at 5, I'd say you are near the end of your cycle my friend. Just keep following Butterfly's advice, and you should be cycled very soon. All of a sudden your nitrites will be at 0, and you will have nitrates. It won't be long now! ;)

9. booboo7336 Initiate Member

actually I am only day 6 in and my readings are:

Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Ammonia - 1
    ph 7.2

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Actually Boo I think Gunnie was replying to Emma. ;)
    Booboo you still need to watch your ammonia and if it goes any higher do a water change. You should be seeing nitrites and nitrates soon which means your cycle is proressing.
    Carol

11. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Thanks Carol and I see that now. The cycle seems to be progressing as my readings that I am looking at every 2 days are now

Nitrate   5.0
    Nitrite   .05
    Ammonia .5

So ammonia is going down. You have been a great help, thanks!

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

No problem!!!! Looking good!!!
    Carol

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yay! my tank is now cycled! no nitrites or ammonia! yay! ;-D