Cycle question

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a question for you salt water types....

I have been searching this for the last few days and have been finding different opinions. My question is if you were to seed a filter for a salt tank from a fresh water tank would it work, or would the difference of the waters interfer?
I am just curious. Thanks.

Brian

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i was wondering the same exact thing! thanks for posting it before i did are you thinking of starting a SW tank aswell?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive read a few threads here in FL about this, and as well you can do a search too but heres a good one with some reliable sw keepers

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
From the research that I've done, a freshwater seeded filter will not seed a saltwater tank. In saltwater tanks, it's the live rock that provides most of the beneficial bacteria.

If you get lots of live rock from a "living" saltwater tank, it will cycle your tank quickly, but I used a shrimp and live rock to cycle my (used to be) FOWLR, which is now turning reef.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The micro organisms that make up the tank's biological filter are different in FW and SW tanks. One cannot "seed" the other. SW filter media, however, can seed a SW tank just like in FW, this is how you would set up a quick SW QT tank.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone. I know about the live rock, But I was thinking years ago I knew a few people who kept just fish in their salt tanks using a canister filter. So I started looking up with the different water chemistry could you seed from one to the other or not.
I wouldn't think you could but many discussions I came across on it were saying you could so I thought I would ask. And to who asked no I am not doing a salt tank, I was just curious.

Brian

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a question for you salt water types....

I have been searching this for the last few days and have been finding different opinions. My question is if you were to seed a filter for a salt tank from a fresh water tank would it work, or would the difference of the waters interfer?
I am just curious. Thanks.

Brian
Difference in salt level will not allow it to work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom