Cycle question

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm doing a fishless cycle on a new 10 gallon tank. I've been dosing ammonia everyday to get it up to 4 ppm. Two days ago I finally started seeing nitrites show up, and now they're as high as the test will show. Nitrates are going up too, and ammonia is at 0 ppm now! My question is now that ammonia is being processed within 24 hours, and since nitrites are very high, do I need to dose ammonia again this morning, or should I just let the nitrites process?

IMG_0340.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Both ammonia AND nitrites need to be processed to 0ppm within 24hrs. Considering you still have nitrites, you still have some time to go. I would only dose ammonia to 2ppm , 4ppm can be too high and stall the cycle by chance

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know it's not cycled just yet. I was wondering if I should dose ammonia now or wait until nitrites go down to dose again.

mrsP

Reaction score
Keep dosing, since all bacteria needs something to process so they don't die to starvation. Including the one that transforms ammonia to nitrites. But like Blueberrybetta mentioned, to 2ppm would be likely better than 4ppm.

New Threads