Cycle Question Question

1. Zenarium

Zenarium New Member Member

Ok. Probably a dumb question but I figured I’d ask just in case…

So my fishless cycle is finally complete (Nitrates under 20 ppm) and I have everything ready to go BUT I don’t plan on adding any fish for a couple of weeks. Does this mean I may lose the cycle? Will the tank be stable for the near future? It’s a 38 gallon in case that makes a difference.

2. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Valued Member Member

Don't worry it's not a dumb question. To keep the bacteria intact just keep on dosing some ammonia in it but it's best to maybe add some snails because snails could be your ammonia source in the form of their poop and their slime and they are low maintenance. You just have to feed them every 2-3 days and if the water starts getting dirty you just do a water change.

3. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Just continue feeding the cycle (bacteria) and it should be fine. How many fish you plan on adding determines how much ammonia to add if you cycled with ammonia. The higher the ammonia the more bacteria you have and the more fish you can add at the same time. It is all a balancing act.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You must have a lot of restraint to wait weeks after cycling to add fish! Just keep dosing ammonia & you will maintain your cycle.