Cycle Question

1. J

Justin I New Member Member

Hello,
    I am cycling a 5.5 gallon betta tank. I check the levels today; ammonia is 0, but nitrite and nitrate are dangerously high. Will these levels drop on their own, or should I do a partial water change?

Its probably been two and a half weeks since I began the cycle, using fish food and bacteria starter.

Thanks for any and all advice!
    -J

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

Change some water then leave it alone for a few days then test and see what happens. But only change out a small portion of water

Your on your way id say about half way there. Keep up good work

3. BobNJerry

BobNJerry Valued Member Member

do more frequent water changes (20% about 2 gallons) until your numbers level out.

it's a part of the cycle process and when you add fish your number will spike a little. Every water conditioner i have ever used has said to add more when adding new fish- try that as well.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Justin I New Member Member

Thank you guys! I will follow the advice of both responses: I will do a 20% water change today, test in a few days, and continue with water changes every other day or so.

Is it typical to see nitrites AND nitrates spike at the same time? This is where I became confused; as I understood it, ammonia will be high, then drop as nitrites rise. Nitrites will remain high for a bit, before dropping and being replaced by nitrates. Both are *very* high at this time.

5. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

I'm having same problem so idk, but keep up water changing and wait, is all we can do. Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer, I hate the idk answer but for fish it's often the answer you get once going threw all pertanate info