Cycle Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mdm2223, Apr 20, 2018.

1. mdm2223

mdm2223Valued MemberMember

So I had a well established 55 gallon aquarium with some Rasboras, dwarf rainbows, 3 Gold Gouramis And 3 pearl Gouramis. I had the aquarium running for over 4 months. I completely redid the aquarium (all in the same day) I turned off all equipment and drained the aquarium and added new substrate and rescape. Then I added in rodi water and then turned everything back on and got the aquarium back up to temp and added new fish. (Dwarf rainbows, cherry barbs, and GBRs.) now I’m curious will I run into issues with the cycle? I’m afriad for any ammonia spike.

Any help is appreciated!!

2. Pictusboss

PictusbossValued MemberMember

If you use some of the old aquarium water and leave the filter media in instead of removing and rinsing it then some of the benificial bacteria should still be there. Also some will still be on the sides of the tank

3. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

I didn’t replace me media and I just left it. So should I be good? Just concerned since I have some more sensitive fish than I did before

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

What's the pH? Did you add anything to mineralize the rodi?

5. varmintWell Known MemberMember

When you do a drastic change to an existing tank, just dose Stability as per instructions. This will take care of any blips in the cycle.

6. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

The LFS did. I bought the water there and they took care of all buffers and everything. PH set at 6.0-6.5.

I dosed some prime. Think everything should be good? Just concerned if the water was cooler than usual it could’ve killed my BB. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  7. TexasGuppy

Be aware, it's hard for BB to grow at ph 6. Not sure what your are shooting for. If you do go into a mini cycle you may need to raise pH a little.

8. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

I had no idea PH could effect BB growth. I keep it around 6-6.5 for my German able Rams that I got.

9. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Prime is normally used when you do a water change. it will detoxify ammonium and heavy metals for a period of 24 hrs. It will do nothing for establishing your cycle.

10. TexasGuppy

Pretty sure GR are fine at 7 also.. just FYI.
    Temp and pH both affect growth. Also, phosphates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice