Cycle Question Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tommy1284, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Tommy1284

Tommy1284 Valued Member Member

by these numbers how far into my cycle does everyone think I am ?
    And is it good I’m doing 50 percent water changes and then adding prime or should I stop ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

You’re nearly there, you just need to wait for your nitrites to zero out. Are you doing a fishless cycle or with fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Tommy1284

It’s with fish so that why I have been doing water changes

4. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Gotcha, keep that up. High nitrites can stall your cycle so its good that you’re doing water changes. Prime only detoxifies up to a certain ppm of nitrite ( can’t remember the exact number now of course ) if you’re not already aware. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Tommy1284

Ya I think it’s 1ppm

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I agree you are almost there.

Your ammonia is getting eaten, your beneficial bacteria are converting nitrites to nitrates, just not as fast as they are producing nitrites.

And the WCs are necessary to keep your fish safe.

Quicker it happens, the better for your fish.

Just keep on keeping on.

7. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I have similar numbers, but with Amonia 0, Nitrates 2, Nitrates at 160ppm. I am doing no-fish cycle. Should I be changing my water if there are no fish?

8. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Never done a fishless cycle. In fact i’ve only done one fish in cycle although I have 6 tanks. Always use old media to immediately cycle new tanks.

But to answer the question, I would not worry about nitrates since you have nothing live in your tank.

Plants would probably thrive in that environment.

But before you add fish once nitrites are gone, you need to do a 75-90% water change.

9. OP
    OP
    Tommy1284

Awesome I can’t wait for it to be over :)

10. Professor Catfish

Professor Catfish New Member Member

Very nice, you’re doing great, especially with the water changes! I have recently recovered from a tank crash and I’m at stable levels. Just need to keep it up so I can bump up my poor shrimp colony ^.^

11. OP
    OP
    Tommy1284

Ya I have a few ghost shrimp in my tank. I love watching those guys get around the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice