cycle question

1. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

So I have finally hit the 2 week mark in my cycle after screwing it up like most of us. Nitrites spike everyday. I use to like the color purple but now I don't. A-0.25, N2-1.0-5.0, N3-10-20. I Prime them in the morning then I do 75% water changes to bring them down to A-0.25, N2-0-0.25, N-0. PH is 7.4-7.6. profile has fish count and I know shame on me.

Am I doing anything wrong?
    would be happy to provide more if needed

2. Rosie Initiate Member

It just takes time.

I would recommend increasing the oxygen levels by adding an airstone or two and making sure your filter is producing a good amount of surface agitation, this will speed things up as the 02 helps the nitrite turn into nitrate. It will also help reduce the stress on fish from the high nitrites.

3. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Scott...

Here's the basic info for cycling a tank with fish. Once the fish are in, you feed a very small amount every day or two and test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you remove 25 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. If you remove more water, you remove more of the food the good bacteria colony needs to grow. Don't starve the bacteria or you delay the cycle. Test the water every day and replace it when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Once the bacteria colony is established, you change half the tank water every week to maintain a healthy tank.

Good luck.

Old

4. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, what tank is this? I see three in your profile, is this a new 4th tank?

If you have another cycled tank you can just take some media from it and add it to the filter in your cycling tank. This will greatly speed things along if not outright cycle it. How many fish and what size is this tank?

Are you using a bacterial additive at all like Tetra Safe Start Plus?

I can help you finish up this cycle but need to know the above :)

5. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

the 3 tanks in my profile sadly to say are my tanks that are cycling. 29gal 37gal 20gal
    I used prime and stability( stability is on day 3 ). I was scared to add TSS but I keep hearing about it and it seems like its the way to go.

6. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Oh ok. No, don't get TSS+ with fish, it will fail with your high nitrites. I'd stick with stability but would be tempted to pour in much larger amounts. With three tanks you may need a few large bottles! :). The only reason they tell you to dose a certain amount per day is to not get a bacterial bloom but I think the safety of your fish is more important. If it was me I'd be using a couple of capfuls per 10g per day instead of the 1 capful per 10g only on the first day.

So all of your tanks are in this scenario and none have finished cycling? Even the ones from April?

Here is how I always recommend people cycle safely with fish-in:

If ammonia + nitrites are < 1.0 = dose prime plus stability and re-check in 24 hours.
    If ammonia + nitrites are 1.0 or greater = do a large water change, dose prime and stability and re-check in 24 hours.

7. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I have done everything I can do to destroy their cycle until I figured out what I have been doing wrong. that's why my tanks I set up in April are where they are.

so tonight when I change my water I should do prime normal dose and stability what do you mean couple?

29gal- I do 20 gal change - prime 2.5ml stability ?
    37gal- I do 25-30gal change- prime (2) 2.5ml prime stability ?
    20 gal- I do 15 gal change- prime 2.5ml prime stability ?

thank you for helping :)

8. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help. I cycled with fish-in years ago and the daily water changes were such a pain! It took my tank 12 weeks to cycle with goldfish but they all lived and were healthy. All those water changes have to be something, hope you have a water changer?

They say 1 capful or 5ml per 10g for initial dosing. I would be dosing that daily at a minimum, if not more. You can't overdose bacteria.

9. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

let just say I'm going to love my water bill next month :(

ill keep this up and update if I need more help thanks!

Will my API test still read Nitrites even after dosing with Stability

10. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Until they're gone, yes it will keep reading where they're really at. Stability will have to seed the filter so it can take a week or longer but you should start seeing them go down.

11. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

So i can dose them daily to lower my levels? Do i need to slow down on water changes like maybe every other day or 3?

12. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Because you have fish you really cannot go above 1.0 for ammonia + nitrites without doing a water change.

Let my formula above be your guide.

Dose prime daily for the full volume of the tank to keep the nitrites under 1.0 from hurting them and dose stability daily to seed the filter.

13. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Got it! Thanks! :)

14. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Got perfect water thanks to you lol. When can i turn on my other filters? Each tank has two i turned off after running for 2 weeks. I notice my levels were easier to control. Trying to cycle two filters at the same time was becoming "longer" cycle. Correct if I'm wrong please?

15. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Actually the more filters running, the better and it would do the opposite, make things better, not worse. The reason being that more nitrifyers can spread out over the filter media when there is more than one and can be nitrifying different areas of the tank at the same time. It was just coincidence that your levels seemed worse with two filters running. They were going to be bad no matter what :)

16. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Awesome! How can use a filter pad to cycle a 5g? Scrap off media? Rub the tank? Cut a strip big enough for the filter?

17. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Once im cycle finish of course lol

18. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Oh yeah, once you're all cycled and things are smooth you can just cut off a piece of your filter material or better yet, run the 5g filter in your cycled tank for a couple of weeks then move it at the same time you want to add a fish to your 5g tank. This will give you an instant cycle.

19. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Awesome! Thank you

20. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Quarantine tank question. Do I need to have it cycled? planning on getting a 10gal.
    if I don't cycle it. daily water checks?