cycle plants??

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
does anyone know of some plants that will do well in a 5 gallon tank with a betta fish??? also should i cycle the tank with the plants or would that kill the plants i've never had to deal with plants before especially aquarium plants thanx all

brent

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope won't kill the plants, anarchis are good, nano anubias, I have spiral val in mine right now and it's growing until it's big enough and strong enough to go in my other tank.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
would these plants be ok for a 5 gallon tank with a betta iswhat i'm asking....but thank you for the reply it's good to know i don't need to cycle it first also before i forget do i need to do anything special to the plants gravel wise???

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon nursery tank and i have a bunch of anarchis in it, when they grow to big i just trim them back. they do fine in my 5 gallon tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anubias nana will look really nice in your tank and your betta will like it also. It's a little slow growing so it won't crowd your betta out of his tank.
The anacharis is faster growing and so will suck up nitrates big time which is a good thing.
So either or both its up to you, and cycling won't hurt either one of them.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
what about gravel can i use 'normal' gravel or do i need to buy some special stuff?

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have regular light blue gravel. looks good with green plants.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have regular pea gravel. although plants that need alot of nutrition may need plant tablets put under them. I do this for my swords. Those attatched to rocks or wood like java fern or anubias get what they need from the water column.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i'm a total noob when it comes to fish and an even bigger noobie when it comes to plants...so where can i get these plant tablets and do all plants need them?

thanx

brent

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't need plant tabs but you can use them. I don't use them for my crypts and they still grow fast. I'd say get watever gravel you want but I believe smaller the gravel is good so like Butterfly said peagravel is good. The plant tablets you can get at a petstore or online. I have anarchis and spiral val until it's big and strong enough to go in my big tank since it's really delicate in my betta tank. I'd like anubias but I can't find any. Hornwort could also work well, along with java moss.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom