Cycle not starting

EdieBadedie

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
30
Location
Midwest
Experience
2 years
I have done many fish in cycles through my time in this hobby, but this one seems to be a bit more difficult than I am used to. Background info: 55 gallon gallon freshwater tank, set up 12 days ago, added 5 cherry barbs 6 days ago. Ph around 7.8, and I do have hard water. I have the Fluval 70 running with the sponge, activated carbon, and Biomax running currently. I have been testing the water daily, and the cycle still has not started yet. 0 ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. I checked to make sure the test kit is not faulty with my established 20 gallon, and it is working fine. I have set up a 55 gallon in the past, but have never seen it take this long to start. The cherry barbs are doing fine for now!
The only things I did differently are added some filter media from my 20 gallon tank (thinking it would help the cycling process) and I also added some Ph lowering 11 days ago ( the tetra kind) just to get it down from 8, but other than that I did not do anything different.
Thoughts?
 

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
927
Reaction score
743
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
EdieBadedie said:
I have done many fish in cycles through my time in this hobby, but this one seems to be a bit more difficult than I am used to. Background info: 55 gallon gallon freshwater tank, set up 12 days ago, added 5 cherry barbs 6 days ago. Ph around 7.8, and I do have hard water. I have the Fluval 70 running with the sponge, activated carbon, and Biomax running currently. I have been testing the water daily, and the cycle still has not started yet. 0 ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. I checked to make sure the test kit is not faulty with my established 20 gallon, and it is working fine. I have set up a 55 gallon in the past, but have never seen it take this long to start. The cherry barbs are doing fine for now!
The only things I did differently are added some filter media from my 20 gallon tank (thinking it would help the cycling process) and I also added some Ph lowering 11 days ago ( the tetra kind) just to get it down from 8, but other than that I did not do anything different.
Thoughts?
Could it be done cycling?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
EdieBadedie

EdieBadedie

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
30
Location
Midwest
Experience
2 years
AcornTheBetta said:
Could it be done cycling?
I thought about this, but I never saw any ammonia spike at all, and I have been testing every day. Could the filter media from the 20 gallon have circumvented that? I have never tried the seed method before
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,566
Reaction score
13,453
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
EdieBadedie said:
I thought about this, but I never saw any ammonia spike at all, and I have been testing every day. Could the filter media from the 20 gallon have circumvented that? I have never tried the seed method before
Yes it could. that is the beauty of using seeded media from one of your own cycled tanks. The bacteria on that seeded media was grown in your source water so is already acclimated to it. Since we can't see it we don't think about the fact that it is a living thing with some of the same needs as our fish. Once we have a cycled tank there is no reason to ever have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again.

I actually think the reason bottled bacteria doesn't work for everyone is because what's in the bottle isn't always happy with all the different water chemistries. The bacteria on your seeded media has grown and thrived in your water so moving it over to another tank it just got right to work and started cleaning up the ammonia. You should start seeing nitrates before long. It usually takes a week or more for them to show up in a tank I've instantly cycled with seeded media from my cycled tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
EdieBadedie

EdieBadedie

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
30
Location
Midwest
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Yes it could. that is the beauty of using seeded media from one of your own cycled tanks. The bacteria on that seeded media was grown in your source water so is already acclimated to it. Since we can't see it we don't think about the fact that it is a living thing with some of the same needs as our fish. Once we have a cycled tank there is no reason to ever have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again.

I actually think the reason bottled bacteria doesn't work for everyone is because what's in the bottle isn't always happy with all the different water chemistries. The bacteria on your seeded media has grown and thrived in your water so moving it over to another tank it just got right to work and started cleaning up the ammonia. You should start seeing nitrates before long. It usually takes a week or more for them to show up in a tank I've instantly cycled with seeded media from my cycled tank.
That makes sense- thank you so much!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
182
Guests online
3,032
Total visitors
3,214

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom