Cycle Not Stalled, But Not Going Faster?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by GreekGills, Apr 11, 2018.

1. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

29gal on week 6 of fishless cycle

Temp 86-87f
    pH 6.3
    Amm- 0 (this A.M. after 48hrs processing 2ppm ammonia) Dosed back up to 2ppm
    Nitrites- <.25
    Nitrates- 40-80

Ammonia is consistently processing 1ppm every 24hrs. Could a cycle still be "stalled" but still process the ammonia? I've tried raising the pH naturally but doesn't want to stay.

2. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

Hmm, is there a particular reason why you have the temperature so high? I generally keep my tanks about 74 degrees F except for when I kept neons at 82 F.

What kind of filter do you have going with what sort of material in it? Do you have any media in it? The amount of space in there and material for the bb to hang onto can make a difference.

Personally, I would go crazy spending so many weeks on a fishless cycle. That's why I do tough livebearers and cycle with them ;)

3. SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

I think some people recommend upping the temperature to cycle the tank (fishless). Like that bacteria grows faster in warmer water. What have you used to raise the ph naturally? Just curious.

4. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

5. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

I'm starting to get a little impatient, but I've read too many stories where people got impatient and lost their fish by not waiting. I really want to succeed in a fishless cycle. It's challenging and a great test for my patience.

6. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

I have an emperor 400 biowheel with fluval media

7. UluWell Known MemberMember

If you introduce your fish too early you will not necessarily kill them all off but you will make more work for yourself as you will be doing lots of water changes to keep them happy.

Eventually the tank will cycle and you can go to a more routine schedule.

8. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Thank you for your response!:)

My ammonia is processing faster now, 2ppm every 36hrs. My nitrites are at 0 but nitrates are high, around 80. Should I water change to knock those down or leave it and keep dosing ammonia?

9. UluWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for the slow response but yes you should change the water and change it frequently. You don't want the nitrates to build up over 40~50ppm during cycling.

10. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

No problem, I appreciate the info:)

I did 30% water changes daily and only got a slight change. Should I do 50% once daily, 25% twice daily or keep doing the 30%?

Should I worry about taking too much water out at once and hurting the cycle?

11. UluWell Known MemberMember

I would do like a 75% change and see how the tank responds to that and then decide how often to do smaller changes.

I like to do a 75 or 80% water change at least once a month and sometimes two to three times a month, with a 20 to 30% water change every 2 to 3 days. It all depends on how the individual tank is doing, but I give them all regular small changes and an occasional large change where I rake up all the gravel & mulm & siphon it out of the tank.

You don't have anything to rake up yet. ;)

12. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Ok I'll start on some larger changes and go from there.Thank you very much for your help, this is tough without a mentor:)

13. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Just did a 75% wc and got nitrates down to 30ppm. I'll dose ammonia again and see how it processes. It's converting 2ppm every 24hrs now, so I feel as though I'm rather close to adding my fish:happy:

14. UluWell Known MemberMember

I killed a lot of fish back in the 1970s because of poor understand and poor advice. Nowadays it's a lot easier to achieve success because so much help is available around the world. 50 years ago things in the hobby were much much different than they are now. :)

Okay . . . so if you have 0 nitrites 24 hours after a small dose of ammonia I would go ahead and put in your first fish. Get a hungry one & feed him really well, and don't add any more ammonia because you won't need it.

If your ammonia and nitrates go to zero quickly you can slowly add more fish.

You may be able to bring the tank up to a level of bacteriological filtration where you could add a full load of livestock at once and just cut off the ammonia at the same time, but in my mind you'd have to be awful lucky to do this without causing an unexpected spiking.

15. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

I was thinking of having a school of tetra or rasbora, 10-12. Maybe introduce some Corys later on to clean up the sand. What would you recommend introducing first?

16. UluWell Known MemberMember

Tiger barb.

Personally I'm getting away from owning tetras because the quality of fish available seems to be declining.

17. UluWell Known MemberMember

BTW, Corys will sift the sand looking for lost food, but you have to remove the wastes.

18. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

That's a good point on the tetras, thank you for the advice. I agree the tetras do seem to have lots of problems.

I know I have to siphon the waste, I was just looking for a small school of bottom feeders. My pool filter sand substrate would be great for them. As for the Barbs, do they feed off the bottom? I haven't done much research on them yet, but I will be soon:)

19. UluWell Known MemberMember

Barbs usually feed from The Middle or top. But most any fish will eat off the bottom if they are hungry enough.

I would not start out with the bottom fish until you know you have a healthy aquarium going. I can put bottom fish in the first week if I do an instant cycle, by basically Scavenging everything out of a healthy tank and putting it in a new tank. But even then the whole biology suffers from the agitation. Animals, plants, bacteria . . . everything suffers.

I wouldn't put any bottom fish in until your other fish have appeared healthy and happy for a few weeks. You'll want them in quarantine that long anyway. Make sure they don't have parasites, etc.

20. UluWell Known MemberMember

By the way I have never kept rasboras so I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice