Cycle New Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Fishygirl1219, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Fishygirl1219

Fishygirl1219 Valued Member Member

I just literally got my tank it's a 55 gallon g long tank.....I'm about to start running water and everything in it to start the cycle and put my rock and all in it my question is can I do it without a heater? I didn't know I was getting it today or I would ha e bought one thanks ....Well I lied I have 3 heaters but they are not big enough to heat the water I don't think

2. cheapcouches

cheapcouches Valued Member Member

Your fish tank will cycle just fine without a heater, though I would personally get a heater before I add fish.

3. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

You don't need one for a cycle, but I do recommend one. I usually up the temperature to 84-86F when cycling, since warmer temperatures promote bacteria growth more. Then I lower it back to a normal temperature for the selected fish.

How many watts are your heaters?

4. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

Yea definitely but it will be a week or two before I get any fish right now I have a piece of lights e rock and 40+ pounds of dry rock

5. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

Umm let me look I know 2 of them are for a 10 gallon so like 50 watt let me see about this other one ...Umm honesty I do not know I know it's a Penn plax? Therma flow PC? It's old

6. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

How do I need to go about doing this? I have the live sand,rock,dry rock,instant ocean and a canister filter I want to use not as a filter but just to get the water moving

7. aaron0g

aaron0g Well Known Member Member

Just a quick point, dry rock is very unlikely to be cycled before the 4 week mark, don't start ordering ant fish yet, I would add any heaters you have even if they don't keep it warm enough it will still help, are you thinking of adding a skimmer if so add it whilst cycling it will help to pull the rubbish from the water as the rock cycles. Good luck and try to remember pacience leads to sucsess with marine tanks.

8. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

Okay so I need to run for at least a month with nothing in it but rock? No I really don't have the money for a skimmer just yet so I was not going to get one

9. aaron0g

Flow, heat and rock, check with a test kit ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, just like a fresh cycle except if enough rock you may even get the nitrate to drop, once cycling gets near to finishing do a partial water change and let it finish cycling then do another partial water change as you want to keep the phosphates and nitrates down to avoid algae. A good couple of links as well

And

Both worth bookmarking

10. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

So I did a test last night on my water is this good or bad???? IMG_20170420_061322.jpg IMG_20170420_061411.jpg IMG_20170420_061424.jpg IMG_20170420_061439.jpg

11. aaron0g

Ph looks out, doesn't look like it's cycling yet, you should see each stage spike, if the rock is too clean you may need to add a source of ammonia, a raw fresh prawn from local food shop in a net bag for a few hours at a time may be enough to get things going. (Ph should be around 8.2 if salinity is around 1.024-1.026)

12. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

I have some ammonia chloride that was given to me by might nano tank and I put a dab in

13. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

@Fishygirl1219 use the Fretz Pro Aquatics Ammonia Chloride HCL powder I sent you to get the tank cycle started. Literally, just grab a pinch and toss it in the tank and test it 24 hours later.

14. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Oh - so, you did use it, okay, so now put another dab in and test 12 hours later.

You want to get around 1-2PPM Ammonia and keep it there.
    Once you see a drop in ammonia, test for Nitrite.. keep us posted.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

Yea definitely did use I just didn't want to put too much in ..... I'll put some more in before I go to work and test tomorrow ..[​IMG] this is my set up so far I have to fix my rock and the big pile of sand but I didn't have time yesterday before work ....

16. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

Ok so I added more ammonia here's what ait looks like now 23ba8b3b84eb42d457e8fe3e632de2d8.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

So I just did another test ....Does this look right ?? 73edd34f99c90991579c19d587d5a5de.jpg

18. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You've got a lot of ammonia and already have some nitrates. ph looks about where mine usually is. Watch the ammonia doesn't get too high. Did you use any bacteria in a bottle?

19. OP
    OP
    Fishygirl1219

I did not I used the ammnia chloride might nano tank gave me ......So what do I need to do ride it out or do a water change when I get more salt??

20. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

What is your ammonia reading? I was wondering because there is ammonia, no nitrite and some nitrate lol, usually I see that with bb added...maybe you are going to be lucky!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice