CYCLE need to be complete for plants???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Morgan111, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

Ok so here is the deal I've been fishkeeping for many years but I've never gotten into freshwater plants. I'm wanting to put plants in both sides of my Weird tank (thread and pictures here)...... https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...o-here-start-wierd-tank-we-got-3-19-10-a.html .... but it isnt cycled yet and
    I'll not be putting fish in till 4/26/10 or so. my 2 questions are as follows

1) does the cycle need to be complete before plants

2) what plants will be best the tank is between 20 and 25 gallons per side and 24" deep with 38 watts of light per side from PC 50/50 bulbs.

Thamks all :party0007:

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hope this helps! :)

3. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Plants love ammonia so uncycled tanks are perfect for them. As far as plants go... thats a pretty deep tank... I'm not too sure light will be successful at getting to the bottom... Your probably better off with low light plants...

Anarchis
    Java moss
    Java Fern
    Hornwort
    and crypts

Nutter will likely have more suggestions...

4. B

Big Dog New Member Member

I would wait. :;swdad:;swlsO0:;b:;bb:;br:;dk:;cr:;ha:;hp

5. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

That is what I was thinking but it only came with the 50/50 bulbs and there are two of them so I didnt know if 18 watts of daylight with 18 watts of actnic would be enough light w a 24" depth... per side.... hmmmm I might have to replace them I knew that I'd have to stay with the lower light plants though.

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think you will be able to grow anything very well with the light that you have now & the design of the tank. Because of the tank design you effectively have to look at it as two seperate tanks with 18w of light over each one. That is going to severely limit plants that you can grow. If you replace the tubes as Harpua suggested, then you might be able to grow Java Moss, Java Fern & perhaps some attached Anubius but I don't think you will have much success with much else. Perhaps some Elodea for a stem plant. It's unlikely that there will be enough light to grow even Cryptocoryne in the substrate. You can of course try it & see. The worst that can happen is that the plants die. If you try Crypts down the bottom they may die off & then grow back in a couple of months so don't give up immediately if they lose all thier leaves.

7. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

there is 36 watts per side 2 50/50 bulds eace side for a total of four bulbs

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, but the point that Nutter and I were trying to make is that whatever plants you choose cannot utilize the actinic light; so you aren't really getting 36W on each side.

9. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice