Cycle mistake ?

ZPat96
So I added tss+ but I didn’t wait 24hrs after adding prime should i redo it all? Or should I add daily doses of api quick start?

jdhef
If it were me, I would just add another bottle of TSS+

ZPat96
jdhef said:
If it were me, I would just add another bottle of TSS+
Okay and I got a little impatient after about two weeks of cycling ( so changed from fishless to fish in) before I added them I did a water change vacuumed excess fish food and treated with prime and added tss+ ( didn’t wait 24hrs) let tank sit for a few hours and added 3 little platys (1 red tigers striped, 1 Dalmatian , and can’t remember the other one but it’s got some white and yellow and black blotches?)
Ammonia is showing between .5-1ppm .. should I add another bottle of tss+ Or do a 50% or more WC and prime wait 24hrs then add another bottle of tss+? No nitrites or nitrates

JettsPapa
ZPat96 said:
Okay and I got a little impatient after about two weeks of cycling ( so changed from fishless to fish in) before I added them I did a water change vacuumed excess fish food and treated with prime and added tss+ ( didn’t wait 24hrs) let tank sit for a few hours and added 3 little platys (1 red tigers striped, 1 Dalmatian , and can’t remember the other one but it’s got some white and yellow and black blotches?)
Ammonia is showing between .5-1ppm .. should I add another bottle of tss+ Or do a 50% or more WC and prime wait 24hrs then add another bottle of tss+? No nitrites or nitrates
I'd recommend doing a water change now, and not bother with any more additives (other than de-chlorinator, of course). Monitor your ammonia and nitrites daily, and do water changes as needed to keep the combined ammonia and nitrites definitely below 1.0 ppm, and ideally no higher than 0.50 ppm.

I wouldn't bother testing for nitrates for now.

ZPat96
Okay is 50% water change good? Or should I do larger one

FreshwaterCole
JettsPapa said:
I'd recommend doing a water change now, and not bother with any more additives (other than de-chlorinator, of course). Monitor your ammonia and nitrites daily, and do water changes as needed to keep the combined ammonia and nitrites definitely below 1.0 ppm, and ideally no higher than 0.50 ppm.

I wouldn't bother testing for nitrates for now.
Oh geeze, lol I thought TSS was just a dechlorinator and decloraminer lolz oops
Must have got that confused with the little packet that comes with their kits. Recently commented on a post...somewhere...and thought it was just regular water conditioner

ZPat96 said:
100% agree with JettsPapa, keep up with wc until you see it going down.

ZPat96
Okay so just water changes don’t bother adding any more bacteria
How do you guys go about water changes? I have one 3 gallon bucket that I use to empty the old water into then I add more water to it and prime it get it to temp then dump it in... should I get another bigger bucket to make it easier or what do you guys do?
Also my cyphen doesn’t seem to be working the best or maybe it’s working how it should just seems off.. it sucks up the debris super slowly and usually everything just gets kicked up floating in the water which I then take a net and try to scoop out is this normal?

JettsPapa
ZPat96 said:
Okay so just water changes don’t bother adding any more bacteria
How do you guys go about water changes? I have one 3 gallon bucket that I use to empty the old water into then I add more water to it and prime it get it to temp then dump it in... should I get another bigger bucket to make it easier or what do you guys do?
Also my cyphen doesn’t seem to be working the best or maybe it’s working how it should just seems off.. it sucks up the debris super slowly and usually everything just gets kicked up floating in the water which I then take a net and try to scoop out is this normal?
To address your earlier question, yes, 50% will be fine. I'd only do a larger one if the combined ammonia and nitrites get over 1.0 ppm, which shouldn't happen if you watch closely.

I removed the short hose that came with my gravel vacuum and bought a longer one at the hardware store, which allows me to send the water outside, or into the shower drain for the 40 gallon tank in the bathroom.

I use a 2.5 gallon bucket to put water back in most of the tanks. I believe most people use a 5 gallon bucket, but I'll be 60 next month, and don't care to lift that much water up shoulder high to fill the 65 gallon tank. I don't mind making extra trips.

I use a half gallon pitcher to refill the two tanks in the bathroom, but that's because it's the largest that will fit under the bathroom sink faucet, and it's only about 3 steps from the sink to the tanks. I prefer that to carrying buckets of water through the house.

If the gravel vac doesn't work well it's almost certainly one of two things. It could be clogged with debris. If that's the case you should be able to remove the hose and direct a strong stream of water in that end to push the debris out. The other likely cause is if the end of the hose isn't low enough relative to the end of the intake. If the height difference isn't much then the siphon won't have much pressure. Try lowering the bucket, if that's possible.

ZPat96
I have the tank on the countertop and I put the bucket on the floor maybe 3-4 ft difference
ZPat96 said:
I have the tank on the countertop and I put the bucket on the floor maybe 3-4 ft difference
It’s a brand new gravel vacuum only use it once before

jdhef
If you want to use the TSS+ again, rather than 6+ weeks of water changes, I would perform a 50% water change, wait 24 hours and then add a new bottle of TSS+

ZPat96
jdhef said:
If you want to use the TSS+ again, rather than 6+ weeks of water changes, I would perform a 50% water change, wait 24 hours and then add a new bottle of TSS+
So by noon today it will be 24hrs since 50% water change and prime.. when the time comes and I add the bottle of tss+ what’s next for me to be doing?

jdhef
Nothing. For the next 14 days, just lightly feed your fish. On day 14, test you water and if all worked correctly, you'll be cycled.

JPH1970
ZPat96 said:
So by noon today it will be 24hrs since 50% water change and prime.. when the time comes and I add the bottle of tss+ what’s next for me to be doing?
When you add your tetra safestart plus, add a few fish in. That's the whole idea of using that product.

It worked for me

ZPat96
Got it I have 5 small fish in there now should I feed lightly every other day?

JPH1970
ZPat96 said:
Got it I have 5 small fish in there now should I feed lightly every other day?
I don't remember what the bottle of safestart says(if anything about feeding) but when I was doing mine, I was feeding lightly every other day. Any uneaten food will eventually turn to ammonia

Fish can go 2 weeks or so without eating

jdhef
When cycling with TSS+ I feed every day. Just try not to overfeed.

ZPat96
Got it ... are there any signs I can look out for to maybe know if they are hungry ?

jdhef
Healthy fish always appear hungry.

ZPat96
Okay I have noticed with mine when I go to the tank they gather around a bit more towards the top I think they are thinking I’m going to feed?

jdhef
Yes, it was kinda disheartening to realize my fish just weren't happy to see me, they though they were going to get fed.

ZPat96
Haha okay awesome yeah certainly is upsetting
Quick question so I did what you said with the tss+ now I’m just waiting I know... but I still have api quick start I know they are both live bacteria I don’t want to waste the bottle would it benefit or make it worse if I just add that to the tank as well?

ZPat96
I think the fish in cycle has completed! Started on the 30th using tss+ tested water today... no ammonia no nitrites and like 5-10ppm nitrate

jdhef
Congrats!

Latest threads

Top Bottom