Cycle May Be Stalled

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ayers, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ayers

AyersNew MemberMember

Hi all! Currently trying to get my once very toxic tank numbers under control. Everything has been going well, but numbers have not budged in a couple of days. Just looking for tips if I am doing something wrong and how to get back on track. Here are some numbers.
    20 gallon
    Fishless
    Plantless
    Heater set to 80 degrees all times

4/5

Ph- 7.6 ph

Ammonia 4.0ppm

Nitrite 2.0ppm

Nitrate 80 ppm

4/6

Ph 7.6

Ammonia 4.0ppm

Nitrite 2.0ppm

Nitrate 10ppm

4/7

Ph 7.6

Ammonia 4.0

Nitrite 2.0ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

4/9

Ph 7.6

Ammonia 2.0 ppm

Nitrite 5.0

Nitrate 5.0

4/10

Ammonia 2.0 ppm

Nitrite 5.0ppm

Nirtrate 5.0ppm

4/13

Ph 8.2p

Ammonia 2.0ppm

Nitrite 1.0ppm

Nirtrate 5.0ppm

Pm/wc

Ammonia 1ppm

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate 5.0 ppm

4/15

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 1ppm

Nitrite 0.25ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

4/16

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0.50ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

4/17

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0.50ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

4/20

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0.50ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

Throughout my weeks I have been doing the following based on tank conditions: ammonia+nitrites >5 gravel vacuumed 75% water change
    Ammonia + nitrite> 1 50% water change
    Ammonia+nitrites<1 add prime per instructions on bottle

I have not cleaned any of the decorations or filter since I began treating water. I have used prime with my every water change.

Not sure if I have stalled tank or if everything is going well and I’m being impatient.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts guys!!

2. TeslaValued MemberMember

It appears that you are making progress as the nitrates are definitely creeping up. You nitrates have gone up with ammonia and nitrites still showing up so there has to be source of ammonia, what are you using for adding ammonia? I would recommend not adding ammonia for a couple of days to see what it does to the numbers. If in a 24 hour period ammonia and nitrites both come down to zero then you are ready.

Also, if your ammonia and nitrites are below 5ppm then you need not do a water change atm. I would recommend not vacuuming the tank, WC no more than 30% at a time during the cycle phase and not to add water directly into the filter,

3. OP
    OP
    Ayers

AyersNew MemberMember

The water started off with extreme Ammonia already in it, so I never added any. Long story short never vacuumed gravel, too small filter and over feeding single Betta lead to water conditions already high. Ok! So as of now no water change right? Current number ammonia .50 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. Thanks!

4. TeslaValued MemberMember

I would recommend adding ammonia to bring it to about 2ppm and wait for about 24 hours and check. If both ammonia and nitrite are at zero - you are good and cycled :)
    After you are cycled, do not add ammonia for 1-2 days, do partial WC and then start adding fishes slowly - do not add all fishes at once as the bacteria will increase along with increase in bio load. Post some pictures once done!

5. OP
    OP
    Ayers

AyersNew MemberMember

Thanks!

6. TeslaValued MemberMember

So how did your parameters look after 24 hours?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice